The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this a bad vocal booth?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
There's a few things I'd like to conclude
* = Information provided by manufacturer and not verified by RAL
Vs

Information provided by you, not verified by anyone.

Sound engineering has never been just math. Try a different mic on a vocalist, see what happens, use a different compressor, see what happens.

And now my suggestion, put bass traps in the corners, see what happens.

I think he'll like what will happen based on my practical real world experience of countless engineers doing it, including myself.

It's hard to win an argument with theory alone.

I said, ok, if you think your idea will work, do it and show us. Just like I have done mine and shown the OP.

These posts of yours are only going to confuse the guy because we've only seen unverified calculations without a practical example of it working.

Spec wise, those Auralex Mondo Bass Traps aren't very dense. Theoretically you would think they wouldn't work. Actually using them, they're surprisingly effective. Even I was skeptical because they're not very dense. It's my understanding that the shape of them has a lot to do with how they work. That's why practical tests are also necessary. Compared to very large fiberglass bass traps that I've used in the past, fiberglass is clearly better but when you don't want to DIY and you can't get fiberglass or roxul bass traps or acoustic panels locally, those Auralex bass traps are the next best thing.

You're doing the math part but you're not doing the science part. Science is also conducting experiments and observing the results. It's all well and good to calculate something and come up with a hypothesis as to what should happen but there are other factors that can change or alter the outcome in a real world scenario that can be easy to miss. That's why actually doing it and observing what happens is important.

That's why I don't think he should do your idea. Because it's just a theory. We haven't seen it work. We know that my suggestion will make an improvement because other people have tried it and have gotten good results. We don't know if yours will as it's just a theory and we haven't seen anyone actually try it. It's too risky. He's not trying to conduct an experiment with his hard earned money, he's trying to do something that is known to work. What I'm suggesting is known to improve the sound of his setup.

So to the original poster, put some bass traps in the corners. It will make it better. There is no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying it will fix all of your problems but it will definitely make an improvement and you will be much happier. If you want to fix all of your problems you're going to need more dedication and go the DIY route with acoustic panels or find a way to get acoustic panels instead of foam.

Those foam bass traps have pretty good re-sale value in the used market if you keep them in good condition and don't dent of break them. Lots of people are making home studios right now so you shouldn't have much trouble selling them on either Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Reverb, Craigslist if you decide to upgrade to fiberglass or rockwood bass traps later. Even if you did want to get fiberglass or rockwool/roxul bass traps later, you could keep the foam bass traps and put them on the ceiling where the ceiling meets the wall for an additional improvement.

Last edited by tomwatson; 4 days ago at 08:35 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Ok I just posted up a picture of something I will buy for a easier solution since reflection filters don't work and my foam bass traps suck. Also since the foam on my walls basically don't work for acoustic treatment it's like there's no treatment at all. would love to hear your thoughts on this acoustic booth. Also do you think I will have to buy bass traps if I purchase this since they seem pretty thick.
Will those panels help with a little bass trapping also.
Each of these cost around 500 bucks. Would these good a good solution
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a bad vocal booth?-screenshot_20200919-214812.jpg   Is this a bad vocal booth?-screenshot_20200919-224935.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
Ok I just posted up a picture of something I will buy for a easier solution since reflection filters don't work and my foam bass traps suck. Also since the foam on my walls basically don't work for acoustic treatment it's like there's no treatment at all. would love to hear your thoughts on this acoustic booth. Also do you think I will have to buy bass traps if I purchase this since they seem pretty thick.
Will those panels help with a little bass trapping also.
Each of these cost around 500 bucks. Would these good a good solution
You don't have foam bass traps. You have thin 1 or 2" foam. These are what I was talking about: https://auralex.com/lenrd-bass-traps/

In terms of the booths you mentioned. I don't know what they're made of. If you place them in the center of the room, far away from the corners and walls, it will likely have less problems with bass if the booth is absorbent on both sides. If one side is wood though, you might still have bass issues.

Only the one with the ceiling looks good. With the other one, you'll still get reverb coming from behind you and from the ceiling.

I think the idea behind the one with the narrow opening and the ceiling is that you stand in the opening blocking a lot of the sound from coming behind you. If you were to stand inside with the opening to your left or right, all the reverb is just going to come in from the side since it has no door.

Anyway, IF, they are made from some sort of insulation, rockwood/roxul, or even better, fiberglass insulation, then yes, they will work better than the foam. Just looking at them, you would think they would work better than the foam as they look thicker but if they're also made from foam and use less dense foam then they won't be much better but simply by putting them in the center of the room like in those photos they will be better provided they are far enough away from the walls.

The idea behind both of these is that the walls are on an angle, making bass trapping less necessary. You might not need the corner foam bass traps unless you put it into a box shape with parallels walls. With the walls on an angle like that, it will disperse the bass around more so depending on how well the material on the walls absorb bass, it might not needed as much. I would try it without the foam bass traps first and only add them later if you can hear a bit of low-mid slap back in the booth. They won't make it worse and will make some improvement but you won't get as big of an improvement as you would with a closed in box design so you might fine you are happy enough without them if the walls are angled enough but I do suspect you will get some low mid and bass slap back. Much less though if the back of the booth walls are open though rather than having wood on the back.

Let me make a little table for you so you can check to see what they're made from.
  1. Fiberglass (owens corning 703) with fabric on both sides/open frame design = best possible
  2. Roxul/rockwool with fabric on both sides/open frame = second best possible
  3. Fiberglass with solid wooden back = 3rd best
  4. Roxul with soild wood back = 4th best
  5. Foam with open back = 5th best
  6. Foam with wood on the back = about the same as what you already have

All of those require the ceiling treated so you need the one with the ceiling.

Just so you know, if you're keeping your original booth and just adding stuff, you can use spray glue on the foam and stick it to cardboard then use velcro command strips to stick it to the ceiling. It should hold and come off without damaging the ceiling. Then you add the foam bass traps to the corners.

When you say $500 for each one do you mean each panel or the whole booth?

Because GIK make a good one for only $325 for two panels: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...n-vocal-booth/

You still need something for the ceiling though and to go behind you.

Is 1k the price for the whole booth setup with the ceiling? That one looks as though it's the real deal since it has fabric on both the front and the back because I can see the staples on the back and it looks about 4 inch thick. If you were to make it yourself though, you could probably make it for half the price or less. Overall, it's a fairly reasonable price considering the labor. It might take you a week to make something like that if you're not good at carpentry. It will however, be fragile and hard to ship. Hopefully it's available locally. Sending it interstate might cost $500.

The booth won't offer any isolation from inside or outside noise, it will just tame the reverb. You'll still get screaming kids in the background or any noise in the room. They'll be better than you have now though, especially the one with the ceiling.
Old 3 days ago
Looking at their website: https://inityacoustics.com/f-a-q/

It looks as though they are 3" rockwool.

Now again, if you could make this yourself for under $500.

However, for 1k pre-made, It's a pretty good deal considering the amount of labor involved.

It should sound quite good.

It will fix your reverb problems but will have little to no isolation from any internal or external noise. Eg, speaking in the room, fridge, cars passing by the house, etc... You still need to record when it is quiet. You can't get isolation for 1k. You'd be starting around the 4k mark.

Looking at the specs, on paper, it won't absorb much bass but you'll find that again, if it is further away from the walls, the airgaps and the fact that the sound is absorbed a second time when it bounces back into the booth will provide some extra absorption. You can put foam bass traps in the corners if you want more of an improvement. It won't hurt. But it also might sound fine to you without them. 3" rockwool will absorb some bass by itself.

The same company makes rockwool corner bass traps which will work better than the Auralex foam ones but they cost more: https://inityacoustics.com/shop/berm...-trap-pair-47/ For a killer setup you could put 2 of those on top of each other in the two corners in front of you but that would set you back another 1k so that might be overkill for you. You probably don't need that much absorption just for vocals. If you're making a one room home studio though, that would be something to look into.

So I would get the 1k booth if you can afford it https://inityacoustics.com/shop/stonehenge-booth/. If not, you can look on the construction part of this forum and you could probably make it yourself for a few hundred dollars but it might take you a week or so and you have to deal with insulation which is not safe to have loose in the house if you have other people around. You'd need to make it outside or in a shed with a mask on and shower directly afterwards and wash your clothes or only use them when dealing with the insulation. Theoretically the insulation should be safe in their booth provided they've sealed all the panels correctly and there are no holes and the weave of the fabric is tight enough to keep all the fibers in. I'd suggest wiping the whole thing down with a damp cloth when you get it to wipe off any loose fibers that might have attached to the outside of the panels during construction. The same goes for any acoustic panels you buy.

Are you in Toronto? It looks like they only ship locally to Toronto. That's most likely because they are large and fragile so you can't just post them. They probably have their own driver and van and deliver them to you.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatson View Post
You don't have foam bass traps. You have thin 1 or 2" foam. These are what I was talking about: https://auralex.com/lenrd-bass-traps/

In terms of the booths you mentioned. I don't know what they're made of. If you place them in the center of the room, far away from the corners and walls, it will likely have less problems with bass if the booth is absorbent on both sides. If one side is wood though, you might still have bass issues.

Only the one with the ceiling looks good. With the other one, you'll still get reverb coming from behind you and from the ceiling.

I think the idea behind the one with the narrow opening and the ceiling is that you stand in the opening blocking a lot of the sound from coming behind you. If you were to stand inside with the opening to your left or right, all the reverb is just going to come in from the side since it has no door.

Anyway, IF, they are made from some sort of insulation, rockwood/roxul, or even better, fiberglass insulation, then yes, they will work better than the foam. Just looking at them, you would think they would work better than the foam as they look thicker but if they're also made from foam and use less dense foam then they won't be much better but simply by putting them in the center of the room like in those photos they will be better provided they are far enough away from the walls.

The idea behind both of these is that the walls are on an angle, making bass trapping less necessary. You might not need the corner foam bass traps unless you put it into a box shape with parallels walls. With the walls on an angle like that, it will disperse the bass around more so depending on how well the material on the walls absorb bass, it might not needed as much. I would try it without the foam bass traps first and only add them later if you can hear a bit of low-mid slap back in the booth. They won't make it worse and will make some improvement but you won't get as big of an improvement as you would with a closed in box design so you might fine you are happy enough without them if the walls are angled enough but I do suspect you will get some low mid and bass slap back. Much less though if the back of the booth walls are open though rather than having wood on the back.

Let me make a little table for you so you can check to see what they're made from.
  1. Fiberglass (owens corning 703) with fabric on both sides/open frame design = best possible
  2. Roxul/rockwool with fabric on both sides/open frame = second best possible
  3. Fiberglass with solid wooden back = 3rd best
  4. Roxul with soild wood back = 4th best
  5. Foam with open back = 5th best
  6. Foam with wood on the back = about the same as what you already have

All of those require the ceiling treated so you need the one with the ceiling.

Just so you know, if you're keeping your original booth and just adding stuff, you can use spray glue on the foam and stick it to cardboard then use velcro command strips to stick it to the ceiling. It should hold and come off without damaging the ceiling. Then you add the foam bass traps to the corners.

When you say $500 for each one do you mean each panel or the whole booth?

Because GIK make a good one for only $325 for two panels: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...n-vocal-booth/

You still need something for the ceiling though and to go behind you.

Is 1k the price for the whole booth setup with the ceiling? That one looks as though it's the real deal since it has fabric on both the front and the back because I can see the staples on the back and it looks about 4 inch thick. If you were to make it yourself though, you could probably make it for half the price or less. Overall, it's a fairly reasonable price considering the labor. It might take you a week to make something like that if you're not good at carpentry. It will however, be fragile and hard to ship. Hopefully it's available locally. Sending it interstate might cost $500.

The booth won't offer any isolation from inside or outside noise, it will just tame the reverb. You'll still get screaming kids in the background or any noise in the room. They'll be better than you have now though, especially the one with the ceiling.
Thank you so much Tom, this is the best advice I've ever gotten. Thank you for taking the time I know a lot of thought went in to this. I wish I could pay you back for this advice. Especially the ceiling advice with the cardboard and the strip and the detailed info about the booth.
I'll pay you back by getting signed to drakes label lol.

Also yes I'm located in Toronto so the company shouldn't be a problem.

In the next couple weeks or months when things get delivered and I work on the booth I will post up clips and a song and give you a shout out.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
Thank you so much Tom, this is the best advice I've ever gotten. Thank you for taking the time I know a lot of thought went in to this. I wish I could pay you back for this advice. Especially the ceiling advice with the cardboard and the strip and the detailed info about the booth.
I'll pay you back by getting signed to drakes label lol.

Also yes I'm located in Toronto so the company shouldn't be a problem.

In the next couple weeks or months when things get delivered and I work on the booth I will post up clips and a song and give you a shout out.
No problem. Thanks man. You're a good rapper so I don't mind helping you out. You should add me on Instagram so we can keep in touch. My handle is @ currentsound https://www.instagram.com/currentsound/

Thanks
Old 31 minutes ago
Was just about to hit the buy button but I found this portable booth and would love to get feed back on this one.
The stonehednge booth will take up too much space in the bedroom.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/produ...-booth-3-avb3/

I'm either gonna buy this off your recommendation or create a ceiling with the cardboard and foam like you said with the open top acoustic panel booth.
📝 Reply