The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subwoofer in a small/medium sized room
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Subwoofer in a small/medium sized room

Hi,

I am on my way to putting most of my available cash into a new soundsystem and am on the fence whether I should get nearfield monitors with 6,5-7 inch woofers or smaller monitors and a sub.

My lifestyle requires me to move around twice a year, so I want a universal solution. My studio will always be placed in a bedroom/living room with dimensions 15x13x8 feet or smaller. (in meters it's about 4,5x3,5x2,5) My rooms will always have corner bass traps and a few broadband absorbtion panels. My budget is up to 3500$

What are your opinions? Is a sub something I should consider with these restrictions that I have or will it just create problems? I do want everything I DO decide to put into my room to contribute to the best possible/cleanest audio reproduction and probably will not miss those low frequencies if make the rest of the image worse.

All the best,
Henri
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for the read, it was great & intriguing information for me. Makes a lot of sense.

Do you think this speaks FOR or AGAINST a sub then? This is a post about big monitors.

Let's say larger monitors + sub is also an option. What do you all think is the optimal choice? I am mostly concerned about a sub's behaviour with small room acoustics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, will look into subs much deeper then and start testing suitable options!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Im all for multiple subs
Old 2 weeks ago
I have said this before. Most rooms I get to see here would benefit from sub support up, not down. Running a sub up to 100 or even 120 Hz may help plug holes caused by interference or modal nulls.

And once you use a sub for its 40-100 Hz, not for 50 Hz down, it makes sense to buy two smaller subs.

Of course, small drivers mean more distortion and only you know how loud you listen.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Im all for multiple subs
For modern pop/hip hop multiple subs are an absolute necessity
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, great thoughts once again. You are giving new ideas that are easy to relate to and understand.

I guess in a small space with not perfect acoustic treatment, 40hz and above is the actual best range to use a sub for? As below that the room would distort the sound waves anyway?

If getting a sub or two, the idea would be to use the sub for having even less bass than the monitor offers, but just a much cleaner bass. And also giving the monitor woofer more headroom. Is this the case in real life?

Do you have recommendations for very fast and snappy subs with a good transient response? I guess closed enclosure is the way to go?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSimplified View Post
I guess in a small space with not perfect acoustic treatment, 40hz and above is the actual best range to use a sub for?
Depends on where your room modes and interferences/modal nulls are. Could be up to 100 Hz or even higher.

Quote:
As below that the room would distort the sound waves anyway?
The room doesn't distort but (on average, I think) small drivers will distort more than larger drivers at low frequencies.

Quote:
Do you have recommendations for very fast and snappy subs with a good transient response? I guess closed enclosure is the way to go?
https://data-bass.com/ (best domain name ever)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
all sound alteration is a distortion so a room can add distortions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
all sound alteration is a distortion so a room can add distortions
Good luck finding a room that doesn't distort then.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Good luck finding a room that doesn't distort then.
It's the goal of this forum.

A sub without distortion, this is a question for Jens Eklund.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If i recall correctly Boggy reccomended to leave the speakers full range, using subs to fill in what's necessary.

The other school of thought is to pump less bass from the mains (hpf, room placement, crossovers) and use the sub for LF, leaving more headroom / less distortion in the main amps/speakers.

Im not sure there is a universal "right" answer, for this one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just added our fresh results with pair of 8'' speakers and nothing but pair of subs and simple crossovers (done with RME TotalmixFX EQ) without any additional DSP on this thread: Add a sub instead of even more bass trapping to even out freq response?

Maybe some of you guys could take a look and give some additional thoughts.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

So I now had time to test everything out and I decided to go with Adam S2V without a sub. It is a beautiful sounding speaker with a lot of calibration options and fits perfectly into my studio sound-wise. Very transient rich but soft sounding high end, quite a forward sounding midrange and a deep, musical bass that is just present enough. I also have Audeze LCD headphones to check the really low stuff.

From my experience with a sub - if I were to buy subs, I would buy 2 with closed cabinets and DSP. That would probably give an amazing addition to the sound, but It does not seem necessary in any way and at the moment seems like a better idea to put the money on treatment.

Thanks for the inputs, guys!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear