The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable Touch Screen for DAW controls in the vocal booth or is there another way??
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Post Affordable Touch Screen for DAW controls in the vocal booth or is there another way??

Finally finished building my vocal booth. Works amazingly. Tested it out today, thinking all I had left to do was decide how I'm gonna cool down the heat in the studio... I was wrong.

While recording clients will be no problem, I cant say the same for recording my own music. I immediately realized I have neither a screen nor controls. It takes too long to get in and get ready to just hit record and run into the booth for every take and I can't adjust the gain on the preamp either.

The only solution I can think of is that I have room on my video card for 1 more monitor. If I used that port to add a touch screen, I could slide Nuendo and the UA console over to the touch screen and bring it into the booth when I'm recording alone. As long as I just use the UAD preamp emulations, I'd be able to control the preamp from the UA app and hit record, playback, erase/undo, etc on the DAW.

My question is whether anyone can suggest a screen or if you have another way I haven't thought of.

I thought about hooking my footswitch to a headphone extension and using that to hit record but that only gives me the ability to hit record. It doesn't solve any of the other problems I mentioned.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

I don't know much about touch screen models. An alternative might be using a screen sharing app like anydesk, team veiwer, or the win or mac remote desktop apps, along with a phone, tablet or latop.
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

A pad with an app, depending of your Daw or a wireless keyboard on the cheap side
Nuendo supports Eucon, so an iPad and the free Avid app over Wi-Fi , works

Matti
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

If you’re on a mac, an iphone and are running Logic... you’re set. Logic Remote app.
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
If you’re on a mac, an iphone and are running Logic... you’re set. Logic Remote app.
Not a single Apple product. They're a joke of a tech company who's only talent is marketing and making compatibility deals that **** consumers. Their products are always yeats behind their competitors.
Nope. I'm all Ryzen 3k series custom PC, Galaxy S20 Ultra, and Nuendo
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

V-Control Pro on an iPad.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Any touchscreen monitor would do... just need a long enough hdmi and usb 3 cable
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Head

Android or Windows options .

You can connect a phone directly with a usb cable although i'm not sure about the ideal app see image This phone appears as Midi Function when connected to a pc. The usb midi option should be accessible on any Android device released after 2015

The most popular & configurable Android apps are liine Lemur or TouchOSC.Those apps require you to create a template on your desktop then transfer it to your phone or tablet.You would need to download & install Rtpmidi (Real Time Protocol midi ) on the desktop to connect to your network.There are some alternatives which you can trial like Neyrinck V-Control which can only be download from their website or TouchDAW.

Airbar is a device which converts any laptop to two finger touchscreen & screen mirroring has already been suggested.

External monitor

You could consider a resizable vst or channel strip etc for basic touch functions if you want to avoid networks or additional software.

Windows touch screen software

Budget Windows multi-touch screen midi interface software is very rare & some won't support shortcuts or macros. These desktop equivalents of the apps use a virtual midi cable & may require a Hd monitor.

hi.computer...Chameleon is a diy midi controller which is configurable & has an MCU template for Cubase.
feelyoursound.. Isopad is a free touch screen midi keyboard.
feelyoursound.. Xotopad

I think a dedicated touchscreen monitor is convoluted for your needs... Just ensure that the monitor requires no drivers for touch features if your considering purchasing as you can still encounter issues within Windows.

A dedicated touchscreen monitor needs a usb cable for the touch surface.I have used a 5 metre usb cable but I try to keep them as short as possible. The touch screen will still work when video & power are disconnected so you need to be aware that there's another input device which can be accidentally accessed. You can disconnect the Usb cable but the screen may need recalibrating after re-connection.

I'm a Cubase user & have a 21 inch Hannspree HT225 multi touch monitor & a 65 inch monitor on a Geforce GTX 1060 video card. The multi-touch monitor is used as a mixing desk & occasionally relocated & plugged into a laptop about 7 metres away from the desktop.It's basically functioning as a larger networked tablet via Rtpmidi with more screen estate.

I experience touch malfunctions at least once per month on both machines with Windows 8.1 & have to re-calibrate the screen.Tablet pc settings may not be visible in the Windows control panel unless the Hdmi or Dvi ports are used.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable Touch Screen for DAW controls in the vocal booth or is there another way??-usb-midi.jpg  
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds like you need a VT220 in there, at least of the DAW is commandline based
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkoRome View Post
Not a single Apple product. They're a joke of a tech company who's only talent is marketing and making compatibility deals that **** consumers. Their products are always yeats behind their competitors.
Nope. I'm all Ryzen 3k series custom PC, Galaxy S20 Ultra, and Nuendo
Haha! Okay. I went Mac long ago because I wanted to be compatible with the rest of Hollywood. I’m sure things have changed.
(Actually, they haven’t. )

BTW - I picked up an old iPad 1 for nothing. It does almost nothing now... except run Daw Remote. I’m sure you could do something super cheap with android as well.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Anydesk runs on mac win andriod and ios.
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tific View Post

Android or Windows options .

You can connect a phone directly with a usb cable although i'm not sure about the ideal app see image This phone appears as Midi Function when connected to a pc. The usb midi option should be accessible on any Android device released after 2015

The most popular & configurable Android apps are liine Lemur or TouchOSC.Those apps require you to create a template on your desktop then transfer it to your phone or tablet.You would need to download & install Rtpmidi (Real Time Protocol midi ) on the desktop to connect to your network.There are some alternatives which you can trial like Neyrinck V-Control which can only be download from their website or TouchDAW.

Airbar is a device which converts any laptop to two finger touchscreen & screen mirroring has already been suggested.

External monitor

You could consider a resizable vst or channel strip etc for basic touch functions if you want to avoid networks or additional software.

Windows touch screen software

Budget Windows multi-touch screen midi interface software is very rare & some won't support shortcuts or macros. These desktop equivalents of the apps use a virtual midi cable & may require a Hd monitor.

hi.computer...Chameleon is a diy midi controller which is configurable & has an MCU template for Cubase.
feelyoursound.. Isopad is a free touch screen midi keyboard.
feelyoursound.. Xotopad

I think a dedicated touchscreen monitor is convoluted for your needs... Just ensure that the monitor requires no drivers for touch features if your considering purchasing as you can still encounter issues within Windows.

A dedicated touchscreen monitor needs a usb cable for the touch surface.I have used a 5 metre usb cable but I try to keep them as short as possible. The touch screen will still work when video & power are disconnected so you need to be aware that there's another input device which can be accidentally accessed. You can disconnect the Usb cable but the screen may need recalibrating after re-connection.

I'm a Cubase user & have a 21 inch Hannspree HT225 multi touch monitor & a 65 inch monitor on a Geforce GTX 1060 video card. The multi-touch monitor is used as a mixing desk & occasionally relocated & plugged into a laptop about 7 metres away from the desktop.It's basically functioning as a larger networked tablet via Rtpmidi with more screen estate.

I experience touch malfunctions at least once per month on both machines with Windows 8.1 & have to re-calibrate the screen.Tablet pc settings may not be visible in the Windows control panel unless the Hdmi or Dvi ports are used.
I'm debating using my phone but I really don't wanna keep the studio computer connected to the internet (that would leave it open to sabotage from hackers, malware, and random updates that make **** stop working unexpectedly) and I already have a HUI control surface and MIDI keyboard/controller that I don't wanna deal with switching back and forth.
A touchscreen seems to be the best option for me here. Just still not sure if I want an average sized screen that I can try to find a way to setup right outside of the booth or if I should a smaller one that stays in the booth but hopefully doesn't affect the acoustics I spent so much time and money eliminating for a dry environment that gives me control over the acoustics in post.
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm debating using my phone but I really don't wanna keep the studio computer connected to the internet (that would leave it open to sabotage from hackers, malware, and random updates that make **** stop working unexpectedly) and I already have a HUI control surface and MIDI keyboard/controller that I don't wanna deal with switching back and forth.
A touchscreen seems to be the best option for me here. Just still not sure if I want an average sized screen that I can try to find a way to setup right outside of the booth or if I should a smaller one that stays in the booth but hopefully doesn't affect the acoustics I spent so much time and money eliminating for a dry environment that gives me control over the acoustics in post.

Responding to the bolded portion

I'm not sure if your aware of this but all the best daw apps use what is described as an ad hoc network.EG. Your using the network facilities on the phone , tablet or wi-fi device..Or hardwired pc & router to connect to the app.

Data is transferred but it's not internet or mobile data & your internet provider is not displayed in the interface.
You could disable part of the chain eg ..The password or remove the cable from the distribution point of entry in your premises to the router & the ad hoc connection will still work.Because it's a network not internet. see image

There are multiple ways to be offline but still networked & someone in your realm can demonstrate it better than me if your unaware & also reassure you that it's secure & safe.

Here's a RTPmidi guide I wrote on another message board. The desktop is named Intel & the laptop named Dell.

https://i.imgur.com/Rk822rt.mp4

You install Rtpmidi on your desktop & the computer id will show up in any midi interfaces & also the app on your device & you simply connect. Rtpmidi is a Windows variation of Apple core midi. And iOS devices are preferred because it's an easily accessible & common feature in many apps.( it's not very common or complicated to use on Android )

Ive never been comfortable with having the internet on my desktop rig. I dual boot for the Steinberg e licenser & browsing etc but i'm still offline but networked for remote tasks etc .

Consider evaluating the free version of Touchdaw which has Nuendo templates & supports usb & Rtpmidi.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable Touch Screen for DAW controls in the vocal booth or is there another way??-ad-hoc.jpg  
Old 25th July 2020
Here for the gear

I've found a lot of the cheap touch screens to be diabolical...
  • You could try an Elgato Stream-Deck (depending on what you want to control) and there's a software equivalent of it that you can run on a tablet or phone. This is handy when you want quick pre-programmed changes but not otherwise (e.g. start/stop) since it relies upon keyboard shortcuts to actually use your software, not the screen itself. With the app, the traffic sticks on your local network.
  • You could try using a remote desktop tool like splashtop. I find them laggy and annoying but they are useful if you have a decent wifi router... you can then remote to your PC from a mobile or tablet. This also doesn't require making your PC internet facing since the traffic is egress only.
  • You could try the Astro Evolve III or similar which is a very cool device... if you can get your hands on one. You can use wireless display sharing from a PC or phone (wifi or bluetooth) and cart it around - battery life is decent, but you can also charge it from where you are working without needing a physical connection back to the PC.
  • I generally use a Dell Canvas for most things - wonderful piece of hardware which is cost-effective compared to its competitors, but still pricey. Its monstrous and may not fit well in a space-constrained environment. Probably the nuclear option in this list.
  • I've tried a number of Chinese devices (Parblo, XP-Pen, etc). They are generally geared for artists with a stylus not for finger touch control. I'd describe them as "adequate" for artists, but given that they are almost all dual-cable devices and aren't good with fingers it could be problematic in your use case. The drivers are also not that great.
Old 25th July 2020
Get a cheap monitor, keyboard, mouse, long cables and a powered hub.

Probably cost you like $200.

If it isn’t far you could use a wireless keyboard+trackball or touchpad to make it easier.
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

A wireless hdmi and qwerty keyboard and mouse could work without networking.
Old 25th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
A wireless hdmi and qwerty keyboard and mouse could work without networking.
I use a wireless keyboard. $15 solution.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerZA View Post
I've found a lot of the cheap touch screens to be diabolical...
  • You could try an Elgato Stream-Deck (depending on what you want to control) and there's a software equivalent of it that you can run on a tablet or phone. This is handy when you want quick pre-programmed changes but not otherwise (e.g. start/stop) since it relies upon keyboard shortcuts to actually use your software, not the screen itself. With the app, the traffic sticks on your local network.
  • You could try using a remote desktop tool like splashtop. I find them laggy and annoying but they are useful if you have a decent wifi router... you can then remote to your PC from a mobile or tablet. This also doesn't require making your PC internet facing since the traffic is egress only.
  • You could try the Astro Evolve III or similar which is a very cool device... if you can get your hands on one. You can use wireless display sharing from a PC or phone (wifi or bluetooth) and cart it around - battery life is decent, but you can also charge it from where you are working without needing a physical connection back to the PC.
  • I generally use a Dell Canvas for most things - wonderful piece of hardware which is cost-effective compared to its competitors, but still pricey. Its monstrous and may not fit well in a space-constrained environment. Probably the nuclear option in this list.
  • I've tried a number of Chinese devices (Parblo, XP-Pen, etc). They are generally geared for artists with a stylus not for finger touch control. I'd describe them as "adequate" for artists, but given that they are almost all dual-cable devices and aren't good with fingers it could be problematic in your use case. The drivers are also not that great.
I'm gonna run down that list and look into everything you mentioned.

After my initial post, it occurred to me that I could just bring the wireless mouse into the booth, the screen is big enough to see from there, but ideally I'd like to not have to open the booth to erase and start another take and my Logitech mouse is finicky. It doesn't like to work right on most surfaces.

When I mentioned the option of putting a touchscreen right outside of the booth, I was thinking of having it on some sort of boom arm that could easily move in and out the booth. A smaller screen would be more sensible though, I think.

At the moment, I'm bringing my wireless mouse into the booth and peeking out to press record/stop.

I should've made the actions I need to be able to do clearer, as they eliminate a lot of suggestions...
I need to see the screen and control it so that I can:
Press record, stop, playback, undo record, then hit record again.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tific View Post

Responding to the bolded portion

I'm not sure if your aware of this but all the best daw apps use what is described as an ad hoc network.EG. Your using the network facilities on the phone , tablet or wi-fi device..Or hardwired pc & router to connect to the app.

Data is transferred but it's not internet or mobile data & your internet provider is not displayed in the interface.
You could disable part of the chain eg ..The password or remove the cable from the distribution point of entry in your premises to the router & the ad hoc connection will still work.Because it's a network not internet. see image

There are multiple ways to be offline but still networked & someone in your realm can demonstrate it better than me if your unaware & also reassure you that it's secure & safe.

Here's a RTPmidi guide I wrote on another message board. The desktop is named Intel & the laptop named Dell.

https://i.imgur.com/Rk822rt.mp4

You install Rtpmidi on your desktop & the computer id will show up in any midi interfaces & also the app on your device & you simply connect. Rtpmidi is a Windows variation of Apple core midi. And iOS devices are preferred because it's an easily accessible & common feature in many apps.( it's not very common or complicated to use on Android )

Ive never been comfortable with having the internet on my desktop rig. I dual boot for the Steinberg e licenser & browsing etc but i'm still offline but networked for remote tasks etc .

Consider evaluating the free version of Touchdaw which has Nuendo templates & supports usb & Rtpmidi.
I'm aware wi-fi works without internet within the network but the wi-fi will be connecting my video surveillance system to the cloud, so its essential...
However, your suggestion reminded me that my modem has its own wifi. I might disconnect the wifi router from the modem and bring the router into the studio to create its own offline network, if I choose an app that doesn't require internet and go that route.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm debating using my phone but I really don't wanna keep the studio computer connected to the internet (that would leave it open to sabotage from hackers, malware, and random updates that make **** stop working unexpectedly)
I just can't resist... but this is exactly why people switch to Apple. Among many other reasons. Ironically your opinion that they are years behind is, itself, years behind. That might have been true in 1995 (or even 2000 and debatably 2005), but it hasn't been true for a long time.

Anyway, you're probably not in the market to redo your system but all the things you're trying to do (security, stability, remote access) are the very things that Apple excels at. It's like they're making their products for you.

Also... another vote for a tablet. Wireless mouse seems like a clunky solution that you'll hate pretty quickly. Although it's a cheap option so if you hate it you can always use the mouse for something else. Just get a tablet.
Old 9th August 2020
Personally I think that having a second monitor cloned with a second keyboard and mouse is absolutely fantastic, if you have a powerful desktop.

It’s like having two powerful desktops only without having to deal with file management or make sure that your plug ins are installed on both or pay for extra authorizations.

That said, for this purpose, you could easily do it with an old iPhone or android and Remote Desktop.

The no network thing would be annoying to me, I can’t imagine keeping my studio computer offline.

However, you can run a cheap wireless router offline just for this purpose.

Alternatively any MIDI controller and a longish USB cable will give you transport, but scrubbing would be difficult.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesNumber9 View Post
I just can't resist... but this is exactly why people switch to Apple. Among many other reasons. Ironically your opinion that they are years behind is, itself, years behind. That might have been true in 1995 (or even 2000 and debatably 2005), but it hasn't been true for a long time.

Anyway, you're probably not in the market to redo your system but all the things you're trying to do (security, stability, remote access) are the very things that Apple excels at. It's like they're making their products for you.

Also... another vote for a tablet. Wireless mouse seems like a clunky solution that you'll hate pretty quickly. Although it's a cheap option so if you hate it you can always use the mouse for something else. Just get a tablet.
iPhone users, for example, get features several years after Samsung users. Water-proof, wireless charging, etc and go out of their way to prohibit compatibility and intentionally make their own products obsolete when they wanna sell a new product by creating incompatibility with with the previous stuff. Apple's GPS system is horrible next to Google maps, Siri is good for a joke but useless next to Okay-Google for actually doing its job ("okay, Google. Turn on/off flashlight" is worth every penny in itself)... its just not anywhere near the top of the line. The 16MP 4K iPhone11 Max Pro compared to the 108MP 8K Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra alone is a quick close to the debate between Apple and Samsung.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand View Post
Personally I think that having a second monitor cloned with a second keyboard and mouse is absolutely fantastic, if you have a powerful desktop.

It’s like having two powerful desktops only without having to deal with file management or make sure that your plug ins are installed on both or pay for extra authorizations.

That said, for this purpose, you could easily do it with an old iPhone or android and Remote Desktop.

The no network thing would be annoying to me, I can’t imagine keeping my studio computer offline.

However, you can run a cheap wireless router offline just for this purpose.

Alternatively any MIDI controller and a longish USB cable will give you transport, but scrubbing would be difficult.
Now that I've finished upgrading all the software, I see a few solutions. I have a port for a 3rd monitor so I'm debating whether to get a cheap 3rd monitor, 8K (incase I get into video-editing), or a touchscreen. I've seen some pretty interesting touchscreen virtual consoles that are insanely overpriced and might DIY something like that (even though I have a control surface), if it works through the computer rather than needing to be setup in place of my control surface (which I'm pretty sure I can do). With the touch screen being at my main desk, I think I'm gonna use the remote desktop feature in Windows10 through an offline router with my phone or a Samsung tablet.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
iPhone users, for example, get features several years after Samsung users. Water-proof, wireless charging, etc and go out of their way to prohibit compatibility and intentionally make their own products obsolete when they wanna sell a new product by creating incompatibility with with the previous stuff. Apple's GPS system is horrible next to Google maps, Siri is good for a joke but useless next to Okay-Google for actually doing its job ("okay, Google. Turn on/off flashlight" is worth every penny in itself)... its just not anywhere near the top of the line. The 16MP 4K iPhone11 Max Pro compared to the 108MP 8K Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra alone is a quick close to the debate between Apple and Samsung.
I'm not an Apple fanboy at all and I agree with you that the iPhone is getting long in the tooth. I think at this point they are surviving off of inertia... too annoying to switch off.

I'm talking about their laptops and tablets which are leading the way, not lagging. The MacbookPro is a very powerful machine and the iPad lines are in a league of their own even this many years after introduction.

There are limitations of course (good luck modding your Macbook Pro) but these are extremely well made devices. But the main thing, for this post, is that the Apple operating system is really secure and generally free of the "why the hell did this stop working" syndrome that we all experience in the Windows world.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesNumber9 View Post
I'm not an Apple fanboy at all and I agree with you that the iPhone is getting long in the tooth. I think at this point they are surviving off of inertia... too annoying to switch off.

I'm talking about their laptops and tablets which are leading the way, not lagging. The MacbookPro is a very powerful machine and the iPad lines are in a league of their own even this many years after introduction.

There are limitations of course (good luck modding your Macbook Pro) but these are extremely well made devices. But the main thing, for this post, is that the Apple operating system is really secure and generally free of the "why the hell did this stop working" syndrome that we all experience in the Windows world.
Apple also has a major "why did this stop working" issue. The difference is that when it happens on Windows/Linux, its the result of having so many manufacturers/developers to choose from trying to keep them all running in harmony through various updates. When it happens on Apple, it means Apple just released or is about to release a new device and "magically" your device mysteriously starts getting bugging causing you to have to buy the new ****. I hear it from everyone who uses Apple products everytime they come out with something new and pretty much ONLY from Apple users lol.

I'm never gonna use a studio computer designed by people who've never worked in a studio. I need to be in charge of that because I know exactly what my needs and wants are and I need to be able to change pieces of my computer when my needs change. Even if they brought an audio engineer in to design it, that engineer still isn't gonna have the same needs as me and I'd still need to change it as my needs change. Apple doesn't allow users to build/upgrade/change their own property so they'd still be off the table for me, even if they stopped being an unethical dishonorable greedy conglomeration of evil ****-the-consumer capitalist scum lol.
Maybe, if I was doing more mobile work, I'd consider getting a laptop from them just to try Luna but, even then, I'd rather find something more specific to my needs and just wait for Universal Audio to realize they spent all that money developing a DAW that exposes what a "basic-bitch" Pro-Tools is, only to watch it fail because they made a deal with a company that prevents them from selling to the majority of consumers in the market... and make it Windows compatible in v2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

There's another touch screen midi interface available for Windows which was recently launched named OSC/PILOT

It has OSC ( Open Sound Control ) Which has a higher resolution than midi which is ideal for controlling lighting , domestic industrial utilities etc.

I have some free time this month so i'm going create a separate topic to review & critique what's available.

Last edited by tific; 3 weeks ago at 02:37 PM.. Reason: I removed text to re-use in a new topic
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I was planning on using my mouse for awhile until I decide what I wanna do but I might have a problem.

On Nuendo 10.3, I could've sworn I had ff/rewind button on my transport before I connected my control surface. They're not there now so, if I need to change my start location whenthe controlsurfaceis out of reach, my only option is to click along the top of the edit window 🤔. Idk whats up with that. I should've gotten another wireless keyboard to bring the shortcuts into the booth with me, instead of getting a fancy one with programmable lights
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Screen mirror app for Android tablet or iPad would be my first choice. If you have neither, the cheapest way I can think of otherwise is running a regular keyboard using a long cable and using DAW shortcuts. They also make relatively cheap input devices with custom hot key mapping. You basically set the command shortcuts to a numbered keypad.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Did anyone mention using a KVM switch? Normally they're used to control mulitple computers with one set of monitor/keyboard/mouse but I think you can get them the other way around too.

I think it's called KVM splitter that way around.

EDIT: Forget that - Just split the video and add a USB extension cable for another trackball.
📝 Reply