The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you build a thick cloud?
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolish View Post
Do you see this creating issues for me when I'm recording guitars if I'm directing reflections toward back of room where guitar & mics are.
No, you should be good.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head

Nice! Thanks Thrill (& Kyle) -

Appreciate you guys.

Sounds like:

1. I'm going to go with one large cloud - with the exposed wood design provided by you, Thrill.
2. I'm going to let go of my fear of creating & lowering a parallel reflective surface for most of the length of the room in the form of the two 1'X5's running the length of the cloud.
3. I have the option of slightly tilting the cloud downward toward the front of the room if reflections present issues.
4. How I will determine if I have reflection issues - I don' t know, but I DO know that I've got my guys Thrill & Kyle to reach out to (probably in six months by the time this thing is built, at this pace...)

BTW: I'll be leaving about 11" space between side wall & ceiling cloud on the ends, and about 14" gap on sides. Does that sound ok? This is what seems to make sense? I could also make that gap a little bigger if needbe to allow room for bass trapping - thoughts?
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! Thanks Thrill (& Kyle) -

Appreciate you guys.

Sounds like:

1. I'm going to go with one large cloud - with the exposed wood design provided by you, Thrill.
2. I'm going to let go of my fear of creating & lowering a parallel reflective surface for most of the length of the room in the form of the two 1'X5's running the length of the cloud.
3. I have the option of slightly tilting the cloud downward toward the front of the room if reflections present issues.
4. How I will determine if I have reflection issues - I don' t know, but I DO know that I've got my guys Thrill & Kyle to reach out to (probably in six months by the time this thing is built, at this pace...)

BTW: I'll be leaving about 11" space between side wall & ceiling cloud on the ends, and about 14" gap on sides. Does that sound ok? This is what seems to make sense? I could also make that gap a little bigger if needbe to allow room for bass trapping - thoughts?
With tracking you can move the mic and instruments so the reflections can be worked around. If they become an actual problem at the mix position you can wrap the board with some thick cloth, or some acoustic foam.

Rod reccomends a space around the perimeter of the cloud in his book, but doesnt specify a reason, perhaps for ducting/corner traps. Ive also seen completely covering ceiling reccomended by well established people, in a small room.

If that were my room, id run some 2x's across the top of the walls, using those to mount the lights and insulation in. This just seems more simple to me than a cloud. I would also likely hang fluffy insulation bats above the cloud/joists, like a few clothes lines running fron front to back. This way i could cover from the ceiling to the top of the cloud with fluff, and use the 2x's to house the rockboard 40. The fluffy hangers can be done with a cloud too. If a gap around the perimeter was left, i would cover it with foam or acoustic tile or just stretched fabric to contain the fibers.

Just figured i would throw that out there.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head

Thanks Kyle -

Yeah, Rod's book shows a design of a 2' gap between side walls and hanging cloud. I don't have room for that.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm committed to the large cloud now - just got off the phone w/ electrical supplier to order the rest of my lights. I'm gonna roll with the giant cloud, and I'm leaving room to put the R-19 fluffy on top of 4"-6" of the RB40. I'll have some space to do some trapping in that highest corner of the room - above the cloud. I can't go super-thick, but I can get some in there.

Thanks guys.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

best of luck.
Quote:
Thanks Kyle -

Yeah, Rod's book shows a design of a 2' gap between side walls and hanging cloud. I don't have room for that.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm committed to the large cloud now - just got off the phone w/ electrical supplier to order the rest of my lights. I'm gonna roll with the giant cloud, and I'm leaving room to put the R-19 fluffy on top of 4"-6" of the RB40. I'll have some space to do some trapping in that highest corner of the room - above the cloud. I can't go super-thick, but I can get some in there.

Thanks guys.
📝 Reply