The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Addictive Sound broadband panels
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear

Addictive Sound broadband panels

Hi all,

I thought it would be helpful to other people considering buying to show the construction of these Adictive Sound "Premium Panels".

I ordered a few of these panels via Amazon UK to see if they were any good or not, pretty affordable too compared to the known brands. Since then I've got hold of some GIK panels, in comparison, they're well made and make a substantive difference room's acoustics. It became apparent with this fairly stark comparison that all might not be as it seems with the Addictive Sound pannels, I decided to do some detective would and take a pannel apart. I found that they have loads of cut-up chunks of very dense insulation also as if they're bits leftover from construction work (they also have a 3mm hardboard back not pictured.

What do people think about this? Doesn't seem great to me...
Attached Thumbnails
Addictive Sound broadband panels-img_1049.jpg   Addictive Sound broadband panels-img_1049.jpg   Addictive Sound broadband panels-img_1050.jpg  
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Definitely looks like cutoffs. Presuming the actual insulation is similar to 703/705 or rockboard, ect, i don't see a huge problem with them being cutoffs. I wonder if they are all peiced like that. If savings is significant then they might be a good alternative to diy. Some of the gik and realtraps have a bit more going ob under the hood than just a slab of 703.

The big question is what actually is the insulation?

Interesting post, thanks.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

What kind of insulation is it? That was my next thought, the website https://addictivesound.eu/en/absorbe...ium-100x50x11/ makes a couple of claims.

1. Use best available wool Isover PT80 (density ~ 80kg/m3) of cut to size panel. This absorbing material has A1 nonflammable certificate and hygienic atest.

I'd be interested to know if this is the case...

2. Back finished with HDF, allowing the panel to absorb low frequency

I'm sure that deep bass would pass through this, but something about it doesn't seem right like it's to cover up the chopped up insulation...
Old 10th July 2020
Deleted 231be8b
Out of pure scientific curiosity I decided to look inside my Addictive Sound Tube traps. I thought it'd be the same as what was on your images but mine is more of a fibreglass type wool.
Attached Thumbnails
Addictive Sound broadband panels-img_20200710_191147.jpg   Addictive Sound broadband panels-img_20200710_191212.jpg  
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 231be8b View Post
Out of pure scientific curiosity I decided to look inside my Addictive Sound Tube traps. I thought it'd be the same as what was on your images but mine is more of a fibreglass type wool.
How are these? Did you take any measurements maybe before/after?
Old 9th August 2020
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookas View Post
How are these? Did you take any measurements maybe before/after?
No didn't take measurements after. Sorry
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 231be8b View Post
No didn't take measurements after. Sorry
Would you maybe be interested to do that? I'm interested in these traps but it's quite worrying if they are 'poor' quality. I would hope that would be important for you too
Old 9th August 2020
Deleted 231be8b
They aren't poor quality. I just don't have much interest removing my acoustic treatment and messing about with REW at the moment
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

By poor I meant if they do anything acoustically. Compared to for example HOFA tube traps, etc.

Last edited by rookas; 10th August 2020 at 02:09 PM..
Old 10th August 2020
this would be very easy to make yourself for a lot cheaper.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Of course, a lot of thing can be done cheaper than buying ready made but only if you have all the tools, time, etc. It's strange to me that over at gearslutz people need to be reminded of this while they buy boutique eqs that they could diy for much cheaper or use behringer and save money, etc.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookas View Post
Of course, a lot of thing can be done cheaper than buying ready made but only if you have all the tools, time, etc. It's strange to me that over at gearslutz people need to be reminded of this while they buy boutique eqs that they could diy for much cheaper or use behringer and save money, etc.
this isn't about electronics though, stay on subject please.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
this isn't about electronics though, stay on subject please.
It isn't about economics either.

If you know nothing about this particular trap, move on. Thanks!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear