The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass

Hi guys,

Without getting into why rockwool/fibreglass may be completely safe or not, price not being the primary concern, what would be the alternatives in terms of treatment?

Edit: If I use a thick enough foam would it work...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonvoc View Post
Hi guys,

Without getting into why rockwool/fibreglass may be completely safe or not, price not being the primary concern, what would be the alternatives in terms of treatment?

Without getting into the fact that rockwool/fiberglass are perfectly safe, yes, foam will work, its just very expensive on a cost vs performance aspect.

Alternatively, basotec, polyfill, sheeps wool are also good.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonvoc View Post
Hi guys,

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), exposure to some of the main ingredients of polyurethane foam – isocyanates – can cause a range of negative health effects, including asthma, lung damage and respiratory problems and damage and skin and eye irritation.

https://greenactivefamily.com/chemic...foam-toxicity/
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Dont have rockwool blown into wall cavity's, Not that its unsafe,, what happen is over time it settles, so the upper 1/4 of that cavity ends up hollow.
Old 3 days ago
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Hello, a nice alternative for rockwool and glasswool is polyester wool. It's GFR is good enough to make a pretty good superchunk.
Edit: forgot to mention that this material is completely safe and doesn't even need covering.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

you can use Polyester wool

Or something like this, an agglomeration of different thicknesses of polyurethane foam

https://www.someacustica.com/product...n-foamart-agl/
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I seen some safe lead type film yesterday, thats suppose to really deaden.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I just put this in myself a couple of days ago. It is made from recycled blue jeans.

It is completely safe [please dont try to breathe in the dust though LOL..even though...] (when ripping it or moving it it is very dusty....once it is in place it wont generate more dust though)

It is both good for you and the environment.

It functions as both thermal and sound insulation simultaneously.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass-2283aae0-de4b-4b9f-bcab-d9e3a5234ada.jpg   Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass-ec2cd1ce-dda9-4c00-b467-95a4a0fb0d1f.jpg   Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass-20200630_220353.jpg   Safe alternatives to rockwool and fibreglass-1593582634610609089400.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I just put this in myself a couple of days ago. It is made from recycled blue jeans.
I agree, it’s nice stuff. But, it’s about twice the price.

https://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratou...im-insulation/
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Denim does not have the well defined acoustical characteristics wools have so it is a bit of a compromize. But when using it your a Gutmensch .
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
I agree, it’s nice stuff. But, it’s about twice the price.

https://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratou...im-insulation/
It is much cheaper if you buy it by the pallet. I bought two pallets of it for around $1600.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
Denim does not have the well defined acoustical characteristics wools have so it is a bit of a compromize. But when using it your a Gutmensch .
Yea as a vegan I couldn't bring myself to buy wool....although there may be a small amount of wool in the denim insulation (because a small amount of other clothing is recycled with it) ...still, lesser of two evils.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear