The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oh no, not another patchbay thread...DB25s with disparate destinations?
Old 29th June 2020
Oh no, not another patchbay thread...DB25s with disparate destinations?

Sorry, I know, another patchbay thread.

I'm designing my first TT/DB25 bay, loosely based on my existing TRS bay. My question regards the fact that certain sections of my bay (represented by a single DB25 snake) may need to go in all sorts of different directions, lengths, and connection types.

I've designed my patchbay around front-panel convenience and normalling and while most of my bay is pretty clear cut...I wind up with a few "crazy" areas where some connections need to go all the way across the room and some need to go only a few feet...but they occupy the same DB25. Is that normal? I'm having a hard time finding any other solution. Is it common to have a few DB25s that terminate all over the place? Or am I missing something? Thanks friends!!

ps. here's one example:
on the top row I have an echo send from my console....this is an unbalanced connection about 10 feet from the patchbay. This connection is normalled to my reverb input which is XLR and lives in a rack only about 2 feet from the patchbay. Next to that I have the reverb outs (2 feet away XLR) normalled to the console echo returns, 10 feet away unbalanced.

console send | Rev return L | Rev return R
-----------------------------------------------
Reverb input | console in L | console in R

Last edited by 7up partridge; 29th June 2020 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: added example
Old 8th August 2020
So this is a pretty easy answer, there’s a thing like this and you can just terminate your longer cable runs here, adapting as needed for balanced/unbalanced.
https://www.proaudiola.com/product-p...lrf-1-mini.htm
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear