The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Men's Choir
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Recording Men's Choir

and wondering what the best mics would be? Do I record each man? Or just a spaced pair? Or Decca Tree in front of the men? I want them to sound very manly, more of a man's choir than boy's choir vibe. Help!

Last edited by logjamparty; 1 week ago at 05:23 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

depends on the size of the choir, the acoustics of the room you're recording in and on the soundfield you're trying to achieve.

it certainly takes a vastly different approch than what the previous poster suggested...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
depends on the size of the choir, the acoustics of the room you're recording in and on the soundfield you're trying to achieve.

it certainly takes a vastly different approch than what the previous poster suggested...
Looks like the previous poster deleted his comment... too bad, it was kinda funny!

My original post is a PERFECT example of why you don't leave your account logged in at a buddies studio...

I got a good laugh out of it though!!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by logjamparty View Post
and wondering what the best mics would be? Do I record each man? Or just a spaced pair? Or Decca Tree in front of the men? I want them to sound very manly, more of a man's choir than boy's choir vibe. Help!
If you think there is a best mic and best array, just enjoy recordings.

The appropriate mics include:

AKG C4XX series
DPA 400X series
Line Audio CM4
Line Audio OM1
Oktava 012 series
Neumann KM1XX series
Schoeps CMC series

and that is just sampling of world class microphones appropriate foe the application in the SDC field. BTW it is good to reply to technical no budget query

As far as arrays I suggest Eargle's The Microphone Handbook
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear