The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about the thickness of insulation inside the walls of our build
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

We are planning double walls with 2 layers of 5/8” gypsum board and green glue between for all walls and ceilings in the Sound Rooms. Attached is a screenshot.

Due to the 12’-6” ceiling height, the architect says we will need to use 2 x 6 studs for structural requirements. (note - the attachment shows 2x4 studs - we are planning 2x6 studs)

The insulation between them therefore can be either 3 1/2” thick or 5 1/2” thick. Perhaps 3.5 inches will not degrade the performance at all – and save me a little money. Any thoughts on this?

Faced or unfaced insulation?

I have downloaded and studied the IR761: “Gypsum Board Walls: Transmission Loss Data” – all those walls are 2 x 4 studs.

I noticed from the IR761 that the walls that have studs 24” OC have a slightly better performance than 16” OC. Why?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about the thickness of insulation inside the walls of our build-our-wall-soundproofing-company.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Faced insulation is a vapor barrier, use it as required by building code on exterior walls.

The cavity in a MSM system should be completely filled with light fluffy insulation for best results.

2x6 walls have better performance because its a larger airgap than just 2x4 everything else being equal. Its the distance from leaf to leaf that matters.

Same with stud spacing. 24"oc will have a lower Fmam than 16"oc all other variables being the same.

Hope everything is going smoothly and safely for you my friend.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Jason ! Nice to hear from you. Your answers are always to the point and just what I need. Thank you.

For other readers:
“MSM” is Mass – Spring - Mass
“MAM” is Mass – Air – Mass
(From the Gervais book: When you build walls, strive for two-leaf wall systems and nothing else. These wall assemblies are Mass Air Mass (MAM) Systems. With MAM systems, the air between the leaf walls becomes the spring.)

I am attaching another helpful screenshot from the “Sound Proofing Company” website as a jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Question about the thickness of insulation inside the walls of our build-top-view.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You asked in pmail

Quote:
Can you please give your valuable comments on my thread here:

Question about the thickness of insulation inside the walls of our buildCan you please give your valuable comments on my thread here:

I have been following all your threads. You are getting good info. I am commenting when useful. Jason is giving good info.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

See attached jpg.

Questions about actually building this wall.

How do you keep the pink fluffy from falling out? Seems like "friction fit" might fall out in back, or fall down.

Do you simply use faced and staple it? Where do you staple it on the stud - on the narrow side or wide side (inside edge)?

And, is there any advantage to "Staggering" the studs?

Marius Perron
Attached Thumbnails
Question about the thickness of insulation inside the walls of our build-top-view.jpg  

Last edited by MariusPerron; 1 week ago at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes friction fit, you want to lightly fill the entire cavity, no space between batts.

Use faced insulation as needed for vapor barrier and install per manufacturers instructions.

Staggering studs does offer slighlt improvement (larger airgap) vs being directly across from the oposite leaf's framing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post

Staggering studs does offer slight improvement (larger airgap) vs being directly across from the opposite leaf's framing.
Thank Jason.

And perhaps the staggered stud will keep the opposite pink from protruding out too far...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear