The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this acoustic treatment good enough to track vocals (with WAV files for shootout)?
Old 1 week ago
Is this acoustic treatment good enough to track vocals (with WAV files for shootout)?

Hey guys,

I just assembled a sort of vocal booth in my home studio and was wondering whether the results are good enough to be used on a serious recording.

I attached three wav files of me singing (15 inches from the mic, the mic is a Rode NT1A).

These three examples differ in the following ways:

- one is the "full" vocal booth (ie. all of the panels)

- one is the full vocal booth with heavy blankets covering each side for additional absorption

- one is the vocal booth without a panel behind and just a blanket instead (if this sounds good enough, it would be practical as I would gain a lot of space by not using that last panel).

If these results are good enough I am looking into investing some money into a microphone and a preamp. If it is not good enough, I will first reinvest some money in acoustic treatment...

Thanks so much!

Attached Files

A.wav (6.24 MB, 235 views)

B.wav (6.25 MB, 214 views)

C.wav (6.25 MB, 223 views)

Last edited by GiorgiA; 1 week ago at 01:08 AM..
Old 1 week ago
None of the 45 people who listened care to chime in
Old 1 week ago
None of the 45 people who listened care to chime in

Last edited by GiorgiA; 1 week ago at 06:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Hey man, very unique and interesting voice with a nice tone. I think all sound very suitable, and good quality!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

They all sound totally fine, I prefer the last one (I think that was no back panel?)
Old 1 week ago
Thank you both for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up partridge View Post
They all sound totally fine, I prefer the last one (I think that was no back panel?)
Yeah, the last take (C) was with the blanket behind me instead of a proper panel. When I listen to it through headphones there are more reflections than on other examples, so I am wondering why you prefer it. Is it the vocal take or are the two other examples more muffled?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgiA View Post
Thank you both for your comments!

Yeah, the last take (C) was with the blanket behind me instead of a proper panel. When I listen to it through headphones there are more reflections than on other examples, so I am wondering why you prefer it. Is it the vocal take or are the two other examples more muffled?

Yeah exactly, I preferred the reflections, maybe it's not a great room but to me it gave a little more dimension to the vocal, in a mix I don't think you'd hear the room but I think that slightly more open sound would sit nicely.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear