The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question: Should I consider a sub ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Question Question: Should I consider a sub ?

Hello all,
Hope you are doing well!

I monitor the thread Should i consider a sub ? (REW data included) since the beginning and I recently had the opportunity to purchase the excact subwoofer (second hand) which I am using for years now.

My Setup is PMC TB2S+ (powered by Flying Moles) + 2 Acoustic Research Subwoofer + RME Multiface.

If followed the instructions from DanDan and Jens and set the crossover to 150Hz (max. crossover on my subs) ... now my LF is reduced between 30-80Hz after adding the second sub.

I tried several locations for the subs but the LF 30-80Hz did not really improve.
Is this this a kind of cancelation between the subs? Phase is 0 on both subs.

My room is about 35mΒ² with some diy Bass Traps and diy absorbers.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions what I am doing wrong ?

Stay safe! Thanks and regards from Vienna
Thomas

FYI - Recording and mixing is just a hobby for me ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Single vs Dual.mdat (6.65 MB, 18 views)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

got dsp to correct/align your rig? if so, how did you position your subs and delay/align them, are you using symmetrical filtwrs, how are results without subs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
got dsp to correct/align your rig? if so, how did you position your subs and delay/align them, are you using symmetrical filtwrs, how are results without subs?
Thanks, no I don't have dsp at moment, using the built-in crossover from the subs...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Tuning" subs can take a while.
Experimentation is almost always part of the process.
Among the things you might try would be changing the phase settings, moving the subs (perhaps near the full-range monitors), moving all speakers, changing the listening position, etc.
A good software analysis might shed some light on it, but ultimately the issue sounds more like an acoustic one than an equipment anomaly.
That being said, if there were some sort of digital processing latency being introduced somewhere in the chain, it could also account for a "phase shift." Which again would probably correlate to different speaker locations with regard to delay times, and could be solved that way.
Although if you are unable to solve it to your satisfaction by moving things around, DSP could be a method used to improve the situation, especially at the listening position. IMHO. Good luck.

"DSP" can be as simple as EQ or delay. And it doesn't actually have to be "D."

Last edited by edva; 2 weeks ago at 08:31 PM.. Reason: ++PS
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
"Tuning" subs can take a while.
Experimentation is almost always part of the process.
Among the things you might try would be changing the phase settings, moving the subs (perhaps near the full-range monitors), moving all speakers, changing the listening position, etc.
A good software analysis might shed some light on it, but ultimately the issue sounds more like an acoustic one than an equipment anomaly.
That being said, if there were some sort of digital processing latency being introduced somewhere in the chain, it could also account for a "phase shift." Which again would probably correlate to different speaker locations with regard to delay times, and could be solved that way.
Although if you are unable to solve it to your satisfaction by moving things around, DSP could be a method used to improve the situation, especially at the listening position. IMHO. Good luck.

"DSP" can be as simple as EQ or delay. And it doesn't actually have to be "D."
Thank you, Ed!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Hello, here is the measurment withou the sub(s).
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mdat PMC_ no Sub(s).mdat (1.85 MB, 7 views)
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear