The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Studio Build Thread - Couple Questions
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

New Studio Build Thread - Couple Questions

Hey guys. Santa Barbara resident here. Moving into my new place soon and need/will need help with the mystical science of room acoustics.

I think the best way to go about this is to place a thread for the entire build, questions/answers/progress pictures and all. Please let me know if thatโ€™s not the way to go. Iโ€™ve been a lurker of this forum for many years, excited to finally be a part of this community.

First question: I have about 50 squares of 1โ€ acoustic foam. Stupid buy, you live and you learn.
What are your thoughts on gluing one panel on top of another, to create a makeshift 2โ€ panel? I figure it might not be as good as a true 2โ€, but better than 1โ€.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremophiles View Post
Hey guys. Santa Barbara resident here. Moving into my new place soon and need/will need help with the mystical science of room acoustics.

I think the best way to go about this is to place a thread for the entire build, questions/answers/progress pictures and all. Please let me know if thatโ€™s not the way to go. Iโ€™ve been a lurker of this forum for many years, excited to finally be a part of this community.

First question: I have about 50 squares of 1โ€ acoustic foam. Stupid buy, you live and you learn.
What are your thoughts on gluing one panel on top of another, to create a makeshift 2โ€ panel? I figure it might not be as good as a true 2โ€, but better than 1โ€.
They might be useful for the ceiling, but i would hold off on doing anything until more is known about the room(s), expectations, budget, and what will be done there ie mixing, tracking, ect.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
They might be useful for the ceiling, but i would hold off on doing anything until more is known about the room(s), expectations, budget, and what will be done there ie mixing, tracking, ect.
Room is a 2 car garage, donโ€™t have specific dimensions yet. Studio will be used for mixing/mastering and recording albums with live bands (drums, bass, guitar, vocals). My budget is pretty low, broke college student here.

I am building some diy panels tomorrow, around 5 2x6โ€™ panels of 6โ€ insulation. Iโ€™ve read that this design will work great in both the corners of the room and on early reflection points on the wall. On top of that I have 12 sq. ft. of actual 2โ€ acoustic foam, about 4 2x1โ€™ bass traps, 8 6x4โ€™ moving blankets, and of course the 1 inch foam. Between that I am expecting a good sound.

One more problem, this oneโ€™s a doozy. There will be a car, yes a CAR, in the garage. Old VW bug. I am thinking of hanging the moving blankets from the ceiling around one side of the car to at least kill the glass reflections. Any other ideas are welcome.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremophiles View Post
Room is a 2 car garage, donโ€™t have specific dimensions yet. Studio will be used for mixing/mastering and recording albums with live bands (drums, bass, guitar, vocals). My budget is pretty low, broke college student here.

I am building some diy panels tomorrow, around 5 2x6โ€™ panels of 6โ€ insulation. Iโ€™ve read that this design will work great in both the corners of the room and on early reflection points on the wall. On top of that I have 12 sq. ft. of actual 2โ€ acoustic foam, about 4 2x1โ€™ bass traps, 8 6x4โ€™ moving blankets, and of course the 1 inch foam. Between that I am expecting a good sound.

One more problem, this oneโ€™s a doozy. There will be a car, yes a CAR, in the garage. Old VW bug. I am thinking of hanging the moving blankets from the ceiling around one side of the car to at least kill the glass reflections. Any other ideas are welcome.
Open the car windows to let sound pass thru the car. Stuff it with fiberglass if possible. Covering with blankets can help dull the reflections off the solid part of the car.

Maybe use the car to house racks and gear so space is not wasted.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear