The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 x 8 Whisper Booth and ADR
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

8 x 8 Whisper Booth and ADR

Hi all,

I'm afraid, based on all the conflicting information I've found in researching this before coming here, that I'm about to incite the great Gearslutz Riot of 2020, but here goes...

I'm opening a new studio location. Now, let me caveat that a bit, my studio doesn't do what your studio likely does. Right now I only do podcasts. That's how I started and that's what my first studio was built to do. My studio is just two 100sqft ajoined offices with a piece of sound-proof glass between them. Fancy for podcasting, but not a Studio like you very experienced professionals are probably used to working in. I'm just a little guy with a niche business - not an expert.

My current studio: https://portlandpod.com/studiob/

This studio has a metric ton of problems. The two biggest are:

1. It's next to a trainyard
2. It's inside a coworking space

Kill me.

But because it's podcasting and the fidelity of the end product is, you know, highly compressed podcast audio published at 96kbps or less, I'm not getting any complaints (and I'm a pretty good engineer, at least a pretty good podcast engineer).

COVID nearly killed me because while recording studio are essential (communication businesses / services), co working spaces are not - so I got closed for 3-months and I'm finally re-open.

Being fairly certain that's going to happen again in the Fall, or at least wanting to prepare for that being the case, I'm building out an additional space in a small 5th story office space in downtown Portland.

Great space, but, office space. So I have office space problems. Creaking wood floors, communications in the hallways, door opening an closing in the hallways, that sort of thing. No trains though. That's nice.

I'm thinking about dropping an 8x8 double walled Whisper Room in the middle of this space (which itself is probably 30ft x 15ft. My thinking is that the sort of work I'd need to do to the space to make it functional as a studio, would cost me as much in treatment and modification as this $23K booth will.

This is the booth: https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-9696-e/

I just did an ADR project for a Hollywood picture, and I had to rent another studio to do it. I don't want to have to do that in the future, because it's expensive, so I want this space to be appropriate for ADR.

As I get closer to making things things final, the lease of the space, the purchase of the booth, I'm getting more and more nervous that I might be making the wrong decision in choosing the Whisper Booth.

So I'm turning to the slutz - the Gearslutz - for advice.

If it helps, the space is ~15ft x ~30ft with three large windows at one end and a single solid core entrance door at the other. Floors are wood, ceilings are 15ft high, no drop. Walls are exposed brick (on one side) and your standard drywall and wood framing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Am interested in seeing replies to this as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you do not have to match the acoustics of the production space that is a sound (pun intended) idea. If you have more than quiet background noise the enhanced window is recommended. The room is square. Go up or down in size to get rectangular. When do ADA requirements kick in as opposed to having ADA compliance for clients?

Great idea and congratulations on doing research first.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear