The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TRS question
Old 2 weeks ago
TRS question

Hey everyone,

I'm building a TRS to XLR cables for my studio monitors and trying to figure out which cable goes to which on the male XLR side and how that matches on the TRS side. I know ground is going into slot 1 on the XLR and center on the TRS but I'm confused about the other ones and which slot they go in on the XLR side (2 or 3), and how they match up on the TRS (on the right side, or the left side?).

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
TRS question-img_2908.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Yeah these are the types of diagrams that I've been finding, but what I find confusing about these is I can't tell (on the TRS side) which color is the right side and which is the left side.

Is the red right and the blue left (no pun intended) or does it not matter?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpaulr123 View Post
...I'm building a TRS to XLR cables for my studio monitors ...
What kind of mixer or monitor controller do you have? Just one TRS jack for "monitor" or are there Two? Left and Right?
Is there an Owners manual?

Best
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm building a TRS to XLR cables for my studio monitors and trying to figure out which cable goes to which on the male XLR side and how that matches on the TRS side. I know ground is going into slot 1 on the XLR and center on the TRS but I'm confused about the other ones and which slot they go in on the XLR side (2 or 3), and how they match up on the TRS (on the right side, or the left side?).

Thank you,
Some of my finest XLR art work is in the attached picture in this append:
XLR Wiring-Phase

On the TRS end:
Tip = pin-2
Ring = pin-3
Gnd = pin-1

By tradition I use the color red for pin-2/tip (hot).
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
Quote:
...I'm building a TRS to XLR cables for my studio monitors ...
What kind of mixer or monitor controller do you have? Just one TRS jack for "monitor" or are there Two? Left and Right?
Is there an Owners manual?

Best
Apollo 8 monitors are Adam A7x so I need XLR for the Adams and TRS for the apollo
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Some of my finest XLR art work is in the attached picture in this append:
XLR Wiring-Phase

On the TRS end:
Tip = pin-2
Ring = pin-3
Gnd = pin-1

By tradition I use the color red for pin-2/tip (hot).
So when soldering the TRS 1/4 side, would the tip be the right side that comes out if you're looking at it like the picture I posted at the top?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So when soldering the TRS 1/4 side, would the tip be the right side that comes out if you're looking at it like the picture I posted at the top?
Ohhhhhh.... now I see that you're trying to build/wire connectors without the aid of a continuity meter or a multimeter.

I doubt that I could reliably guess how that connector is built. I have used many like it, but I *always* depended on my meter to tell me what is what, and I promptly forget about it until I need to do some more soldering.

Assuming you don't want to wait for an online order or drive over to your locl Harbor Freight tool emporium, your local automotive parts store should have a cheap continuity meter for sale, or the counter person might help you out with a quick metering of your connector.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Ohhhhhh.... now I see that you're trying to build/wire connectors without the aid of a continuity meter or a multimeter.

I doubt that I could reliably guess how that connector is built. I have used many like it, but I *always* depended on my meter to tell me what is what, and I promptly forget about it until I need to do some more soldering.

Assuming you don't want to wait for an online order or drive over to your locl Harbor Freight tool emporium, your local automotive parts store should have a cheap continuity meter for sale, or the counter person might help you out with a quick metering of your connector.
I do have a multimeter actually! How should I go about using it to make sure I connect these properly?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Set the multimeter to read ohms. Touch the probes together to confirm that it provides a low reading or beeps to confirm continuity.

Then touch one probe to the tip segment of the TRS connector, and the other probe to the left or right tab. Whichever tab that corresponds with the tip gets the wire from XLR pin-2.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Set the multimeter to read ohms. Touch the probes together to confirm that it provides a low reading or beeps to confirm continuity.

Then touch one probe to the tip segment of the TRS connector, and the other probe to the left or right tab. Whichever tab that corresponds with the tip gets the wire from XLR pin-2.
Got it! Thank you!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

One last question, what happens if you put the tip lead on slot three on the XLR, does it go out of phase or something? Just wondering for my own curiosity
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
One last question, what happens if you put the tip lead on slot three on the XLR, does it go out of phase or something? Just wondering for my own curiosity
Yes, if Tip=pin-3 it would 'invert polarity' which many express as 'flipping the phase'.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear