The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Next steps: 1 or 2 subs, or different monitors?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Next steps: 1 or 2 subs, or different monitors?

(Originally posted in another forum - thanks mahler007 for directing me here!)

Hey everyone, I need your advice.

I currently have Genelec 8030A monitors (have had for 16 years or so) and know them fairly well (more on this) and produce mainly electronica.

I have a medium (in home terms) sized control room, about 4.5m x 3.1m x 2m which is quite heavily treated with superchunks in front corners, broadband aborbers and SkyLine Diffusers on rear wall, 3 x ceiling clouds and first reflection points all covered.

I have been resonably happy with the room overall but wanted to even out and extend the low end response.

I have Sonarworks but prefer to just occasionally reference this rather than leave it on all the time. I also prefer it to not be working very hard, final icing on the cake if you will.

I've spent some time with speaker positioning (measuring in between moving) and have ended up with the Genelecs pretty much against the front wall as this has evened out the mid-bass the most (I did have an 18dB grand canyon null at 85-115Hz at one point, eek!

The reponse now is pretty much +/- 3dB from 85Hz upwards but with a whopping 6dB boost at around 60-65 Hz.

My thinking was, to finally sort out the bottom end, getting a 7050C sub as that gives me flexibility of placement to even out the last room modes and reduce the current bass augmentation by removing these frequencies being emitted by the mains?

The question then becomes should I get say one 7050C of maybe 2 x 7040As?

The alternative is to just get some other monitors with deeper extension (I was thinking maybe Dynaudio BM5 mk3 or Adam A77X for 3-way). I think I will still be left having to position my monitors in the same place they are now due to modes.

What do you think? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Jim
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

*bump
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for that Jason, yeah I had read that thread before, hence me asking about 2 subs. I'd rather not spend the money on two unless they are cheaper! I was looking at 1 x Genelec 7050C originally. I couldn't stretch to two of those initially. Maybe 2 x 7040A but that would be a stretch too. Max budget (for now) would be about Β£800. I could always add a second sub in the future if 1 didn't yield the results I'm after though.

I don't think replacing my monitors would massively help because the issue seems completely modal now.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A sub will help with a sbir related dip. Your rooms really too small for diffusion so it may be beneficial to replace the skylines with deep bass traps to help tame modal activity. I would leave the dsp on at all times. If you truly have all first reflections covered then it will really help.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Nearly all of the rear wall is bass trapping with a small amount of diffusion and bare wall. What would you say about subwoofer choices, a couple of cheap subs or one 7050C with a view to maybe getting another in the future? I have come to the conclusion that replacing the monitors wouldn't help at all as it seems I would have the same issues regardless of what near/mids I had in here.

Edit: I've just ordered the 7050C and will see how I get on with that and report back!

Last edited by Dark Fader; 1 week ago at 12:17 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
Edit: I've just ordered the 7050C and will see how I get on with that and report back!
I just finally got a second sub. In my opinion there is no better way to deal with sub 100Hz issues. And my room is stuffed with R30.

Good luck!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear