The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor Choice / Placement in Odd Busy Room
Old 2 weeks ago
Monitor Choice / Placement in Odd Busy Room

I'm planning on buying a new set of monitors and also adding more acoustic treatment in my room. This is my bedroom studio where I make and mix Disco/House/Techno music. On occasion I will record voice or a small guitar amp.

I have 3.5 sheets of Rockwool to make and place as well as several up already (2 2" on the wall above the bed, 3 4" in the corners and under the desk) and some Auralex foam. I am going to upgrade to monitors in the $1400 range (probably used) and add a cloud and some additional treatment where I can, though with my bed, shelves, records, and electronics workbench there's not too much flexibility. I will also likely do some measurement and room correction once I pick speakers and desk placement.

I'm aware this will never be a pro mixing room with so many compromises, but I'd like to make it the best I can.

My 2 questions are:
1) Should i move my desk and monitors into the corner in front of the corner trap, or leave it where it is/try to center it? Monitors will need to be close to the wall either way and corner desk will be difficult to rearrange but doable.

2) Should I pick monitors that extend down to ~35-40hz or get smaller monitors and a sub? I've been avoiding using a sub because of placement and timing complications, but it might be an advantage with a fuller spectrum and more accurate nearfields that don't have to work so hard for bass.

I'm attaching a quick sketch of the room, which is roughly 14.5"x12.5" not including the extended corners for the closet (bottom right) and back door (upper left). The sketch is to scale. Desks/tables/rack/synths are pretty much all at the top with the monitors (triangle stand bases) flanking the computer desk. 4" tall record shelf is lower right wall and bed is bottom. I should also mention that the upper right corner has 6' windows extending from it, and the upper wall is 7' tall slanting up to 8' at the bottom of the image. The door on the middle left is to the bathroom and the door bottom left is the entrance.

Any insight appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor Choice / Placement in Odd Busy Room-room-layout.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Bump?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Why are you buying new monitors?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Why are you buying new monitors?
Because I was using crappy Events and having trouble getting good mixes with them. They were adequate (or so I thought) while I was broke, but I can afford better ones now. And because I'm a gearslut.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustfortiming View Post
Because I was using crappy Events and having trouble getting good mixes with them. They were adequate (or so I thought) while I was broke, but I can afford better ones now. And because I'm a gearslut.
The monitor is only as good as the room its in.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
The monitor is only as good as the room its in.
Hence the treatment... And my questions...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustfortiming View Post
Hence the treatment... And my questions...
Lol, no i know that, but my point is that the most expensive monitors in the world arent going to help unless you get your room in order first, but being such an odd shape and the fact that its prioritized as a bedroom means that it will be extremely difficult to get you to a place where you would benefit from more expensive monitors. By the time you got enough treatment in there to compensate for for everything else you wouldnt have enough room for you.
Old 1 week ago
Anyone have any advice on the placement?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would start by centering on the wall you're on and adding enough deep treatment to the left and right of the speakers to establish some sort of acoustical symmetry. If you havent done so, download rew, and use RTA, band limited to save your tweeters, and set up one speaker and a listening position and move the speaker/mic about a foot at a time till you get something decently flat, then add the other speaker and check that you get similar results. Once you find something decent start marking speaker/listening spots with tape on the floor and do full sweeps, moving like 3 inches at a time till you find a good starting point. Then go from there.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear