The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with placement in suboptimal room
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help with placement in suboptimal room

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in a situation where I have an extra room so I figured I'm going to dedicate it to being a studio/office room. The room itself is far from being a good fit acousticly, so I'm really only looking to make it suck a little less. The room will mainly be used for mixing, not so much for recording.

I've uploaded a sketch of the room measurements as well as some actual pictures. As you can see in the pictures the windows are not aligned with the wall, they sit roughly 30cm/1feet deep into the wall. They are also placed at different heights.

I have attached a sketch of one possible placement. It benefits from the longer side of the room but what worries me is if the big window is going to cause problems since isn't centered behind the desk.
I'm also aware that the bass is going to be the main issue in this room, but I can't really treat the corners symmetrically (if that matters?)

I'm also planning on making some gobos for the early side reflections and two for the rear wall, but I intend to do room measurements before building these (and I have to decide on a placement before measuring). I prefer gobos for the mobility since I intend to move next year.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with placement in suboptimal room-room.jpg   Help with placement in suboptimal room-4.jpg   Help with placement in suboptimal room-1.jpg   Help with placement in suboptimal room-2.jpg   Help with placement in suboptimal room-3.jpg  

Help with placement in suboptimal room-placement_idea.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can turn the closets into a bass trap, its good to have at the rear of the room. Corner traps can be placed all along the perimeter of the ceiling where the walls meet the ceiling. You can use a curtain, drape, or removeable panel for the window(s) if they are an issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for the feedback Kyle!

I've considered putting one corner trap in the top left corner (the open corner at front wall). Do you think it is better to treat one corner than none at all? I worry the asymmetry might be bad for the stero image.

The closets are being used for my clothes, but thats better than nothing I suppose. Would have been pretty interesting to see what effect it would have had if I filled them with rockwool though (they are roughly 55cm/1' 9" deep).
I'll have to experiment with a drape/curtain once I start measuring the room acoustics!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrH View Post
Thank you for the feedback Kyle!

I've considered putting one corner trap in the top left corner (the open corner at front wall). Do you think it is better to treat one corner than none at all? I worry the asymmetry might be bad for the stero image.

The closets are being used for my clothes, but thats better than nothing I suppose. Would have been pretty interesting to see what effect it would have had if I filled them with rockwool though (they are roughly 55cm/1' 9" deep).
I'll have to experiment with a drape/curtain once I start measuring the room acoustics!
I would test first and see if the bass response is good enough or not. Given the trap would be behind the speaker, and your using nearfields the bass response would probably improve more than the imaging would be harmed. The window in the other front corner is going to act like a bass trap, letting lows out below a certain frequency.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Interesting, is this because the window is thin enough for low frequencies to pass through?
I'm expecting my new desk by the end of the week, will update with some REW measurements then and also once more when I've finished building my absorbers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrH View Post
Interesting, is this because the window is thin enough for low frequencies to pass through?
I'm expecting my new desk by the end of the week, will update with some REW measurements then and also once more when I've finished building my absorbers.
Yes.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear