The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room size/windows and door locations
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Room size/windows and door locations

Hi,

First, let me quickly introduce myself as it is relevant for this post. I'm a musician slowly switching to doing more production in my home studio (as opposite to being mostly a live musician), a classical guitar teacher, and a developer (I develop apps for musicians among other things).

What I usually do when working on musical projects is handling part of the recording (guitar and voice), the production and then working with a real audio engineer for the mixing part.

I have made a small home studio in my flat (as a tenant so with limited options), with acoustic panels and bass traps, and using Sonarworks Reference as a complementary tool. It works well enough.

I will soon have a house built, and I have the liberty to set the dimensions of what will be my next office space (well, in a range of dimensions at least, I am limited nevertheless). So time to take it up a notch!

The important thing is that I don't want a perfect control room:

- I'm using it as a musician for production so my needs are not as crucial as it can be for an audio engineer

- It will be my office also for developing software. Some weeks I'm doing 50 hours a week of software development: I need to have natural light coming in so the room is enjoyable, even if I know that windows are bad for control rooms.

... but nevertheless, I would like to treat the room, and doing what I can to make the room sound good and have not too much room mode problems.

Therefore, I have several questions:

- I did search for informations, and a commonly accepted good room size seems to be 17x23x10 (WxLxH, feets). If I convert to meters, rounding it up, it gives 5.19x7.02x3.05m. These dimensions are I think OK with the house building project. I have to check with the architect, but it seems doable. Is it good thinking to use these dimensions?

- Where would you put the windows? Assuming my desk is here:

... is it good reasoning to have the window(s) either behind me (on top of the image), and/or behind me on the sides?

Again, I know that ideally there should be no window for a real control room, but it will be part control (production) room, part office desk room, part playing/recording classical guitar room, ...

Thank you for your help,

Stรฉphane.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear