The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I need rear wall treatment
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Do I need rear wall treatment

Hi Everyone

I have a small room about 2.8m long and about 2m wide and 2.8m high.

At the moment I have 2 gik impression series 100mm 1.2m bass traps hanging on the ceiling and then some 50mm 1.2 side panels for the early reflections placed horizontally.

I've been fortunate to receive 2 further panels but not really sure were else to put these. The only option seems that 1 will go to the left of the door on the back wall, there's a window behind the speakers and also a window above the door frame. I'm wondering in such a small room is it necessary to add more. There isn't really any other space for the other one?

Thanks in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That is a small room! The smaller the room the more treatment you need in order to minimise reflections that will make your room sound like a box. A room with equal dimensions will require even more. The standard principles still apply: place your monitors on stands as close to the front wall as you can and at ear level, treat first reflection points (ceiling, side walls, rear wall), sit where there is minimal modal activity (38% of the length of the room is often cited as a good starting place to find the sweet spot), treat 20-50% of the total surface area of the room (which is 15.68 sq.m.) - nearer 50% than 20% because of the small size of your room, and acoustically measure the room using REW and a measurement mic (or SDC in omni mode).

Edit: I said the total surface area of your room is 15.68 sq.m. whereas that is the volume and is cu.m. The total surface area is 42.56 sq.m. Sorry about the mistake.

Last edited by Starlight; 2 weeks ago at 07:48 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivers View Post
I'm wondering in such a small room is it necessary to add more.
This is Gearslutz.

Seriously, look at your impulse response for ideas on where to add treatment.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear