The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subwoofer position..... which is ideal?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Subwoofer position..... which is ideal?

I have 2 measurements, blue one is snug in the left corner, red one is closer to the desk also to the left. (Yamaha HS8's with the HS8S sub, no hipass/lopass)

Huge 2.2lbs/ft^3 density basstraps (18" x 24") tuck from floor to ceiling. Bunch of other 8" basstraps at all early reflections and along back wall.

THE REASON I ASK:

The Blue location, in the corner, has a niceeee flat response <90hz but a GAPING VOID around 100hz. Also has a more smooth 120-200hz.

The Red location, is -on average- more flat, yet is kinda ****y around 50-80hz.

I produce heavy bass music.... kinda like orchestral dubstep, still figuring it out. I figured I could use the flatter 50-80hz range and just KEEP IN MIND that 90-110 hz is GUTTED. Or is that too deep of a null to ignore? That's the range of most sub woofer crossovers, messy on most consumer systems.

Is it better to have more 3-5 decibel differences scattered throughout the bass range, or have a nice average 2-3 decibel difference with one phat null that can be 'kept in mind' when it comes time to finalize a mix?

After I get the speakers and room to get along as best as possible, will be running Sonarworks systemwide to fine-tune the rest.

I obviously can't aim for professional quality monitoring, but what's the "ehhh best we can do here" solution?

Thanks guys! long time lurker. First post

(Sorry for the sloppiness and if there's a huge lack of information, been building basstraps and researching for weeks I just want to be DONE and CREATE)

Much Love
Attached Thumbnails
Subwoofer position..... which is ideal?-gearhoes.jpg   Subwoofer position..... which is ideal?-gearhoez.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

bump....

literally if someone could just say RED or BLUE that'd help confirm my own bias
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpyost View Post
bump....

literally if someone could just say RED or BLUE that'd help confirm my own bias
Just by looking at your pics...Red.

If the peak were narrow, then maybe Blue but its wide.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear