The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to treat a small closet for guitar
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to treat a small closet for guitar

I have a 36" wide, 22" deep, 64" tall closet I've been using for recording guitar (I live in an apartment so it greatly reduces overall volume). The doors aren't air tight and my goal isn't to reduce overall volume, it does a fine enough job at that.

Currently, I have the amp off the ground and auralex foam on the entire front door, everything else is untreated at this point. It does seem to give somewhat of a room sound which I like, but I'm asking for advice on any further room treatment to make it sound even better. Thoughts?

Amp is a '59 Bassman and I'm using an sm7b and 421 for mics (occasionally a ribbon as well).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In that space, . . never say never. . .but I would likely never go after the solution you are pursuing.

Can you post examples of what it sounds like now and provide more context about what you think 'sound even better' might mean?

Kind regards,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
In that space, . . never say never. . .but I would likely never go after the solution you are pursuing.

Can you post examples of what it sounds like now and provide more context about what you think 'sound even better' might mean?

Kind regards,

Ray H.
Can you elaborate? Are you saying you'd leave it untreated or more so it's not an ideal environment to begin with?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyj View Post
Can you elaborate? Are you saying you'd leave it untreated or more so it's not an ideal environment to begin with?
For me the space - given the sounds I would be after - is way too small. . .so I would instead run a DI [e.g. Rupert Neve Designs RNDI] into the interface. Perhaps I would put a tube head and/or pedals [etc.] in front of the DI? So yea, put me in the later bucket - it's not an ideal environment to begin with.

However, it sounds like it is working [at least to some extent] for you. . .cool. But I don't know what that means - hence the request for samples and a bit more context - about what you think might make it 'sound even better' might translate into specifically given those samples?

Best regards,

Ray H.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear