The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GIK PIB and other portable solutions for tracking and mixing acoustic treatment
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

GIK PIB and other portable solutions for tracking and mixing acoustic treatment

For the next few months, I'll be mixing/overdubbing at home. I have a setup in a living room that sounds pretty good already due to furniture, etc. though I am looking for some type of temporary acoustic treatment, mainly for doing acoustic guitar and vocal tracking, electric guitars, and while mixing.

Was thinking of picking up two GIK PIBs, to place around the vocalist/guitarist/amp, and then use at first reflection points to my sides, or behind me while mixing.

I would get them with the Alpha 2dA wood pattern, which apparently works well for top end scattering, so when recording acoustic guitar I can get diffusion rather than absorption (perhaps one panel on the wood side, the other absorbing, to control the reflections).

Is anyone using these and having a good experience? Wondering what other additions or options to consider. They seem like a good investment, as when I am finally in a treated space, I can still use them as Gobos for vocals/acoustics when I track in the control room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 3 weeks ago
I've already discussed the GIK PIB's numerous times on Gearslutz. Search is your friend.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 PIBS will cost about $775. Before going for it, I'm just trying to figure out if there are cheaper solutions that are equally effective, such as hanging two moving blankets? I know the PIBS only stop reflections down to 150, since they're 2" thick. Love the concept of the PIBS, but not sure how much better it would be than a DIY solution. Also on the site it's advertised to put the PIBs in front of the singer behind the mic's pickup pattern, though their rep suggested to set them up behind the singer, to dampen the side that the cardioid pattern of the mic picks up...not sure which is the best method.
Old 3 weeks ago
There's no need to put a baffle in the mic's null, esp. for vocals. For a guitar amp, you might do it when tracking a band because you're trying to fence off amp radiation from other parts of the room. But, generally speaking, you want to figure out the path of the strongest first-order reflections and place the gobos to exclude them. When I place a PIB behind the mic, it's because I'm using a figure-eight or omni pattern.

When you look at the pictures of my overdub room, understand that the PIB's are to either side of the singer, and the singer's back is to the Art Panel over the couch. (I usually pile some blankets or pillows on the back of the couch to cover the remaining wall area.) So I've neutralized three major reflections, and there's not a direct reflection from above because it's a vaulted ceiling.

Below 150 Hz, the thickness of the absorptive material doesn't matter as much as the fact that those long wavelengths will diffract around the baffle anyway. It doesn't make sense to think of ray acoustics at low frequencies; you need to think about how to dampen the room resonances. My use of PIB's for the old "closet trick" takes advantage of the extra space behind the panel to put a frictional loss element in a region of higher velocity for some of the axial room modes. That makes a big difference, even though the absorptive batting isn't very thick. (The clothing in the closet probably helps a bit, but there's less loss near the back because the air velocity is going to zero.)

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear