The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundproof curtains/sound dampening curtains
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Soundproof curtains/sound dampening curtains

Hi guys,

I want to step up the look and accuracy for my studio. I have a sliding glass patio door on my right side and a window on my left. I want to get some sound proof / black out curtains to deal with the windows. I’m not as much trying to keep out side noise out as I am looking for a solution that will improve the accuracy of the monitoring in the room. I don’t want to put something in there that will skew the high end or midrange in the room. I want Something that is some what even in its sound deadening.

Right now my mixes come out a bit dark and it is difficult at times to hear reverb trails. Looking to improve clarity

Been looking at moonbeam curtains but they are expensive. Nice room curtains look cool but are they good?

I need brand recommendations and no velvet please. Won’t look right in my room.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

There is no such thing as a "soundproof curtain" although they call it that. No curtain will provide soundproofing. It will barely reduce any sound at all, but it can improve the acoustics inside the room.

Don't be scammed. To do real soundproofing, you need mass and isolation. Curtains provide neither.
Old 3 weeks ago
you can make your own acoustic drapes, in the MHBOA it mentions using 18oz/yd2 velor material and shows that this is very effective material, but it will only really work at midrange frequencies not bass, spacing it with an airgap from the wall will improve results slightly in the amount of absorption, however it is not and never will be 'soundproof'
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Any other suggestions? Not into the look of velvet or velour.

Thanks,

Ej
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Cover the windows with serious acoustic panels. I use some GIK panels to block the window in my studio. I originally tried double “acoustic curtains” before the panels. To my ear, and confirmed by REW, they just didn’t do much. The curtains were a waste of money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Acoustical curtains will soundproof maximum 30 dB and are extremely expensive.

The ones we sell at our company only go up to around 12 to 17 dB and they cost 200 euros per sqm !! Higher attenuation are possible, but you end up paying 500 euros per sqm !

These curtains are mainly used in cinemas and theatres.

Last edited by andrebrito; 3 weeks ago at 06:23 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

If being able to have any sort of reliable results mixing in there is a priority, forget about curtains being the solution.
You're on the right track with wanting to absorb frequencies evenly though. To do so over the widest bandwidth possible is how you solve your issues and move closer toward an accurate reference. The reality is that this takes a lot of thickness to achieve. You could cover the entire room in 10" thick absorption and still be nowhere near absorbing the critical low end evenly. With that in mind, just aim for the thickest panels you can within your budget and preference. If building your own try to aim for a minimum of 4" of absorption thickness and build feet for the ones which can be moved in front of your window. If buying retail, I recommend hitting up GIK for their "244 bass traps" (a broadband absorber in reality) for the wall and "free stand bass trap" (4" thickness, again a broadband absorber) to go in front of the glass.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear