The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making a project studio workable
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Making a project studio workable

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to a new city in a few months time for an uncertain period of time and will be subletting an apartment until I find something more permanent. I plan to convert the living room into a temporary project studio to continue my mixing and production work. Have experience making records in less than ideal spaces, and I have a studio with adequate treatment where I am right now, but I wanted to float some ideas and ask for some guidance regarding how to setup a temporary space which is workable, on a budget, because I'd like to save budget for when I find and sign a lease on a permanent space. I'll be travelling with my monitors.

I'm considering using a combo of packing blankets for first / early reflections and am thinking about how to treat the bass. One idea is to take a day and build some superchunk bass traps real quick. I also have a digital room correction system setup that I can bring with me (calibration mic, software)... would the combo of these treatments be enough to compensate the room enough for me to mix without issue on a nearfield monitoring system? I'm very familiar with voicing of the speakers. I figure if I make the room dead enough, and adequately treat the low end to the point that room EQ can compensate for it, that might be enough to make it workable.

Thoughts? Thanks for your suggestions.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear