The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room measurements - what bass trap to use
Old 10th June 2020
Here for the gear

Room measurements - what bass trap to use

I've just moved into a new house and finally have myself a home studio to work from and now find myself in the rabbithole of acoustic treatment. From researching it seemed like the most pressing first step was to measure my room.

As far as I can understand the biggest problem areas are the 100-150Hz and 300-600Hz regions when looking at the SPL average between L and R. And between the 2 speakers - large descrepancies at 220Hz and 1kHz. Could that huge peak at 121hz be something to do with the height of my room being about the size of that wavelength at 287.5cm high?

I've been reading about broadband absorbers and superchunk traps and ideally superchunks sound like they are the way to go. However as you can see from my room dimensions there is only really 1 corner that I would be able to fit one that even approaches the size required to be effective. Although less effective, does anyone reckon that 6" thick broadband absorbers could work well on the wall in front and behind me? Namely something like these...?
Attached Thumbnails
Room measurements - what bass trap to use-l-r-etc.jpg   Room measurements - what bass trap to use-l-r-spl.jpg   Room measurements - what bass trap to use-l-r-waterfall.jpg   Room measurements - what bass trap to use-l-r-spl.jpg   Room measurements - what bass trap to use-l-r-etc.jpg  

Room measurements - what bass trap to use-studio-dimensions.jpg  
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

Have you tried orienting the speakers so they fire down the long dimension of the room? This in general (not always)yields a smoother bass response.

Remember you have corners around the entire perimeter of the room at the wall/ceiling junction which can be treated while not eating floor space.
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabus View Post
I've just moved into a new house and finally have myself a home studio to work from and now find myself in the rabbithole of acoustic treatment. From researching it seemed like the most pressing first step was to measure my room.

As far as I can understand the biggest problem areas are the 100-150Hz and 300-600Hz regions when looking at the SPL average between L and R. And between the 2 speakers - large descrepancies at 220Hz and 1kHz. Could that huge peak at 121hz be something to do with the height of my room being about the size of that wavelength at 287.5cm high?

I've been reading about broadband absorbers and superchunk traps and ideally superchunks sound like they are the way to go. However as you can see from my room dimensions there is only really 1 corner that I would be able to fit one that even approaches the size required to be effective. Although less effective, does anyone reckon that 6" thick broadband absorbers could work well on the wall in front and behind me? Namely something like these...?
Hello,

You don't have the same response between L and R. Before the bass trap , the issue should be treated.
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Have you tried orienting the speakers so they fire down the long dimension of the room? This in general (not always)yields a smoother bass response.
Unfortunately I can't really orient the room layout any other way as it is quite small and I need as much space around me as possible for instruments, etc

Quote:
Remember you have corners around the entire perimeter of the room at the wall/ceiling junction which can be treated while not eating floor space.
Interesting, that never crossed my mind. What thickness of panel do you reckon would be effective over those spots? Do you reckon 100mm or about 4" would be sufficient for the problem frequencies in my room?
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

You don't have the same response between L and R. Before the bass trap , the issue should be treated.
I'm guessing the difference is primarily due to the right speaker being near a corner?
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabus View Post
I'm guessing the difference is primarily due to the right speaker being near a corner?
The two speakers are different in all the bandwidth.
Have you calibrated your speakers?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear