The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal

So recently, I have learned that monitor placement and room treatment goes a LONG way. I am searching for answers to sound treating my situation but It seems I can't find much. My situation is a little peculiar and specific.

I have a sliding door closet to my right. The doors open and fold, opening that part of the wall to the semi-walk-in closet. It's getting down to either I leave them open for access to the closet or I close them when I mix. I know that makes the most sense. It is the gap inside the closet that concerns me.

The window is the main problem. There is an AC unit installed on its bottom right, which is stuck there. On the AC unit's left side there is even a tiny centimeter gap that leaks sound out... It sucks, but I don't know what to do about it. So I need to know what to do with sound absorption/treatment regarding the window. It's rectangular and a third of it is screwed up with the AC unit. I have considered solutions such as Thick curtains or a big wood panel that I can remove on and off.

I made a drawing to illustrate the dimensions of the room. In addition to that, A picture of the not quite so standard window.

I am working with this room for now, and I don't expect it to be perfect when I am done. But it is my first opportunity to sound treat a room and get it as professional as possible. I have a JBL LSR 305 and I have heard it is a capable monitor in the ideal circumstance. Upgrading it only if necessary.

As far as sound absorption goes, I am considering making a rock wool panel for the sides and bass trap. I have popcorn ceilings, and supposedly they muffle sound a bit. So are ceiling absorbers even necessary? That is, as necessary as side walls?

I am trying to make a home studio just good enough for mixing as accurately and honestly as possible. RFZ is my primary goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal-unnamed.jpg   Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal-unnamed-2.jpg   Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal-unnamed-3.jpg   Help - Room Treatment for Side Walls that aren't Normal-unnamed-4.jpg  

Last edited by Gzilla; 3 weeks ago at 06:13 AM.. Reason: more concise
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Nevermind, I discovered the wise sage Bobby Owsinski.

and I'm off! Got a much more clear idea of what to do now!

....Any help with the WINDOW and soundproofing would still be much appreciated. It has something to do with rubber gaskets, sealing, and a material (Lexan, as Bobby suggested, might just do it)

In case any one in a similar situation wants to know the holy sermon I heard, it is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9W...ture=emb_title

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear