The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Different Helmholtz Slat Sizes
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Different Helmholtz Slat Sizes

I understand the basics of a helmholtz array wall with one size on slats/slots and I can make calculations on that.

But in some studios I see helmholtz array walls with different sizes on both slats and slots. Is there any expert here that can explain how this works in more detail? (more than one cf obviously)

When every slat has a different slot on each side and every slot a different sized slat, how does this affect my calculations?

Basic helmholtz knowledge maybe, but couldn't find any good explanation online.

Hope someone understand what I mean and can elaborate a little further.

Best, M
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What you're seeing are most likely slat or binary amplitude diffusers rather than Helmholtz absorbers.

DIY Binary Amplitude Diffuser anyone?

If a truly sealed system as required for Helmholtz, and without dividers between the various sections, the peak of absorption would be an average of all the individual slat/slot combinations, which rather defeats the purpose of using this method to target specific frequencies.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Allow me to disagree.

The ability to create a panel that offers both effective absorption in the modal region over a wide range and partial scattering is very useful, and I often use this method in my designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looks great Jens, well done and this is exactly what I had in mind!
How do you make calculations when there’s more than one size of the slit and the slat?
From what I know the dampening occurs close to the openings and it takes into account the size of both slit and slat. Thats pretty straight forward with every calculator out there but when the slat size is different on both sides of the slit I get a bit confused.
Some kind of average makes sense like Dpower said but how can I control this if I want to battle 2-3 modes with one wall? Enlighten us please
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Performance of a variable slat configuration can be estimated by taking the average of the individual configurations:

Different Helmholtz Slat Sizes-measured-absorption-various-configurations-slats.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Different Helmholtz Slat Sizes-measured-absorption-various-configurations-slats.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does that mean that you can put them in what order you like? (as long as the percentage of the wall is equal)

For example on the first pic you posted I can see 3 different configurations but they are not in 3 different sections but instead mashed up.
Not:
1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3
But:
1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3

1= 200mm slat, 5mm slit
2=100mm slat, 2mm slit
3=50mm slat, 3mm slit

Am I right assuming that these examples have the same average result?
The mashed up version sure looks cool on the wall but it’s still a bit confusing on paper when I try to understand how it really works.

Thanks for your time Jens, must be a lot of calculations and I bet these rooms are really well tuned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Performance of a variable slat configuration can be estimated by taking the average of the individual configurations:

Is the idea to tune each panel section to the mode of highest pressure for the area its located, and use the averaged curve to see the resonator system as a whole overall ?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear