The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio design layout, advice needed!
Old 4 weeks ago
Studio design layout, advice needed!

Hi all, hoping for some helpful advice form you good people.

I've finally completed on a property that I'm going to convert to a studio. I intend to pay to have this designed but I'm just looking for opinions on the overall layout as well as answers to a couple of specific questions.

Overall I'm really pleased with the space but there will be some compromises.

I'd like a separate control and live room and if possible a vocal / isolation room.

There will be a second 'B' mix room most probably on the mezzanine.

I'm disregarding the space labelled 'storage' on the ground floor plan, its essentially an outbuilding (metal wall/roof).

Locally a larger live room would be a unique selling point, I'd love to use all the open space with the full height as a large live room but the mezzanine leaves 8.5' height below it which I believe makes it unsuitable (less than ideal) for a control room? The mezzanine can be seen stood under it on the 4th photo and looking back at it on the 5th.

The height in the main open space is approximately 12-13' to the existing 2x4 'ceiling' framework. I need to measure the height more accurately yet.

If I split the main open area roughly in 2 with the live room in the centre of the building, could I then extend the live room a few feet under the mezzanine to gain some extra width. (From the side view it would be an 'L' shape if that makes sense) Would this be a bad idea in terms of the sound of the live space?

Having the live room in the centre would also make sense in terms of the second mix room in the mezzanine 'sharing' the live room. The ceilings are lower in the mezzanine and follow the pitch of the roof.

Doors to peripheral rooms will obviously be blocked/moved as necessary.

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Studio design layout, advice needed!-ground-floor-2d-plan.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-ground-floor-3d-side-2.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-mezzanine-3d.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-img_1388.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-main-space-2-jpg.jpg  

Last edited by Markmanch; 4 weeks ago at 05:53 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello,

What do you want to know exactly ?

IMHO, it is a bit complicated to comment on a design made by a colleague of profession, particularly in a public forum

Don't you think if you want a second opinion, to hire someone privately ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply Andre.

For clarity, I'm not looking for comments on the professionals design at all. Apologies if thats how it came across and I'm sorry if his inclusion in the question is inappropriate, I'll remove that content. I just wanted some opinions on best use of the available space from other peoples perspective.

Is 8.5' too low for a control room in this scenario?

Would a live room that extended below the mezzanine (An L from the side) be a bad idea acoustically?

Mark

Last edited by Markmanch; 4 weeks ago at 02:21 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yes, 8.5' is a bit low for a control room but it is not bad if you place thick absorption on the ceiling.

I would be more worried to have a tracking room with 8.5'.

On the mezzanine, i think it also depends on what you are trying to capture. Drums probably require a higher ceiling than for instance acoustical guitars.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks, so if I rule out having the control room under the mezzanine, do you see any problems with extending the live room under it as in the image attached? Please excuse the quick illustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio design layout, advice needed!-live-room-under-mezz.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not doing a second live room with different characteristics under the mezzanine ? For instance covered with stone
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes it's a possibility. My main motive for wanting to go under the mezzanine was gaining the floor space in the live room. If I didn't go under it and divided the available 'high' space between a control and live room, they would both be less than 4m wide which struck as a bit narrow, especially for the live room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well my opinion would be to either make a very live or very dead room below the mezzanine.. something different from your larger tracking room

Either a vocal booth or a percussion booth
Old 4 weeks ago
Nice ceiling height!

I myself am very happy to have a recording room and control room in the same room, I have my mixing space built up against a corner, in which there is plenty of room for absorption of bass. The mixing space measures perfectly within a few dB.

In the room I have quite a few Gobos, on wheels.

BTW. Listen to the prototype of my little iso booth, something similar will fit inside the room next to your toilet.

Tiny Closet Space Recording Booth
Old 4 weeks ago
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I know a good few people who work happily recording and mixing within the same space, for me personally I really would like to stick to a design with a separate control room.

Wow, impressive design, certainly something I'll consider as things move along. However it pans out I intend to have an iso booth of some description, thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
More detail...

Thanks Andre, yes I was originally planning on a dead space / vocal booth under the mezzanine, that would make a lot of sense.

I've done the 3D in more detail to help give a better idea of what's going on.

Are you saying that you would stick with the idea of splitting the main (high) open space roughly in two to create a control and live room as opposed to trying to make the control room work under or on the mezzanine?

Essentially I'm a little torn between an acoustically superior control room vs having a nice spacious live room.

Thanks again,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Studio design layout, advice needed!-above-detailed.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-side-end-detailed.jpg   Studio design layout, advice needed!-side-detailed.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That will be your decision based on how many spaces you want to have in your recording studio, amount of people inside the live room etc etc...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmanch View Post
Thanks Andre, yes I was originally planning on a dead space / vocal booth under the mezzanine, that would make a lot of sense.

I've done the 3D in more detail to help give a better idea of what's going on.

Are you saying that you would stick with the idea of splitting the main (high) open space roughly in two to create a control and live room as opposed to trying to make the control room work under or on the mezzanine?

Essentially I'm a little torn between an acoustically superior control room vs having a nice spacious live room.

Thanks again,

Mark
the sightlines imo are terrible: make sure you can look from and into any room from all other rooms - you may want to isolate say a singer or sax player etc. from the band in the live room and yet they have to see each other, as well as you want to see what's going on in both rooms.

also, don't make the small room/iso booth too small or it will become acoustically problematic and not well suited for anything else than relatively soft sources. and it doesn't feel nice to work in small rooms for hours either, especially if you're trying to be creative...
ideally, you'll want the a horn section to fit in a small room, a loud instrument such as drums ot then a very soft instrument such as a sitar which otherwise gets overpowered by other instrument in the large room.

finally, i think it could be useful to have two small rooms in which you can typically isolate say a guitar combo (or two) in one room and a bass rig in the other room; doesn't hurt if they are large enough that a leslie fits in...

oh, and the more daylight you can get into any of the rooms (except for the two small iso booths), the better!

___

owner of 4 studios here, all much different in size and the work being done - the largest one has a relatively large control room, two medium sized live rooms (both being larger than the cr of course and which can almost get combined for one large room: there's a very large glass door between them), an 'iso' booth about the third the size of the larger live rooms and two small iso booths (for combos/stacks) - no daylight in this studio unfortunately...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 07:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Thank for the detached reply and advice, very much appreciated. I'll work on a few possible layouts with all that in mind. Do you have any specific suggestions yourself for a layout in that building?

As a rough guide, what is generally deemed as a minimum size for a small room / iso booth?

Mark
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank for the detached reply and advice, very much appreciated. I'll work on a few possible layouts with all that in mind. Do you have any specific suggestions yourself for a layout in that building?

As a rough guide, what is generally deemed as a minimum size for a small room / iso booth?

Mark
couple of thoughts:

- i'd absolutely try to 'fortify' the storage room and put the control room in there!
- i'd break down the wall between the left toilet and the small room and make it one reasonably sized iso booth.
- i'd put make all doors go into the large tracking room (in order no to lise any space in any of the other rooms.
- i'd take out the stairs (!) and split the now empty room into two (or three) smaller rooms for isolating amps, strorage, whatever
- i'd put in a looong open (metal) stair, running along the south wall (from on top of these iso rooms to cet to the upper floor so the stair ends up in the south-west corner: should be easier to schlepp gear up there if the stair is running straight ahead and leading towards the wall
- the upper floor leaves enough room for (going from south to north) a small entrance/storage, control room band and iso booth b, maybe even a small toilet in north-west corner.

cool place btw!

p.s. may i ask where you're based? old or new world, elsewhere? - would love to see the place once you're finished; pls keep us posted on how things will proceed!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 11:53 AM.. Reason: p.s. added
Old 4 weeks ago
Brilliant, thank for all your advice, some really cool ideas that I Hadn't considered there.

I did consider the storage room as the CR, I'd have to brick/block it out and I was concerned about the size of it and roof height at the low side where the roof slopes down... if I set up in the usual orientation of a CR id have asymmetry in the ceiling with the slope unless I made the inner spaces ceiling flat which would make it too low. Do you think that would be a problem?

Moving the stairs I hadn't considered and that makes a lot of sense, worth thinking about.

Thank you, I'm based in the midlands in the UK, you'd of course be very welcome.

Mark
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...) I did consider the storage room as the CR, I'd have to brick/block it out and I was concerned about the size of it and roof height at the low side where the roof slopes down... if I set up in the usual orientation of a CR id have asymmetry in the ceiling with the slope unless I made the inner spaces ceiling flat which would make it too low. Do you think that would be a problem? (...)
regarding orientation and where the roof slopes down:

i assume this is the area more distant from the wall/on the north side? - if so, i would orient the cr so you are looking into the large tracking room (and maybe have doors on each side of the cr window): imo anything which potentially helps the communication between folks in the cr and the tracking room is good thing!

if the ceiling is higher on the west (or east) side, i'd orient the cr so you're looking the booth but have also have a large window towards the tracking room.

of course you cozld alao levelbout the ceiling and orient the cr in whatever direction which makes you happy - depends a bit on the height though: one of my former studios (which i abandoned years ago) had a ceiling in the cr which was not much higher then 2m; funny enough, i did some of (what i consider) best mixes in there! the cr was ca. 25m2 iirc.

i'm no acoustician though; i'm nothing but a sound tech, somewhat experienced in terms of tracking/mixing...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Mark
There are general prevailing ideas among most consultants at GS that small rooms can NOT sound good.

But I actually have something going on as a feasibility study for the construction of iso booth for my own studio. Check out the acoustically treated prototype room here:

Tiny Closet Space Recording Booth

Most people would probably say that you get huge problems with the sound with such small room dimensions. Of course, you can definately get a really small room/booth to sound really bad. But I actually think I managed to succed with that "impossible" task!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear