The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room EQ measuring method approaches?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Room EQ measuring method approaches?

So measuring my room has been something I wanted to do but just didn't have the understanding enough to do it. That is until I found YouTube videos recently and I've been re inspired. There still are some Concepts that I don't understand. I have the following questions when to do one techniques vs another. Please explain in lamen terms if possible.

1. Using a full 20hz to 20khz sweep vs a 1k test tone?

2. Why measure different frequency chunks at a time(ex. 30-500, 500-2000 then 2000-10000) vs sweeping the whole tone?

3. When to shoot "the room" vs the listening position? Whats the difference?

4. Finally, My mixing room is also my vocal room unfortunately. So Im shooting my room currently for mixing purposes. BUT I thought it would be insightfull to shoot my vocal position as well to see what frequencies may be peaks/nulls to give me some EQ decision making insight. Also to help me with deciding on absorbtion panel placement.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You might find this useful: How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics It mentions all of the doubts you raised, and others too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
So measuring my room has been something I wanted to do but just didn't have the understanding enough to do it. That is until I found YouTube videos recently and I've been re inspired. There still are some Concepts that I don't understand. I have the following questions when to do one techniques vs another. Please explain in lamen terms if possible.

1. Using a full 20hz to 20khz sweep vs a 1k test tone?

2. Why measure different frequency chunks at a time(ex. 30-500, 500-2000 then 2000-10000) vs sweeping the whole tone?

3. When to shoot "the room" vs the listening position? Whats the difference?

4. Finally, My mixing room is also my vocal room unfortunately. So Im shooting my room currently for mixing purposes. BUT I thought it would be insightfull to shoot my vocal position as well to see what frequencies may be peaks/nulls to give me some EQ decision making insight. Also to help me with deciding on absorbtion panel placement.

Thanks,
Colin
1. Use the full sweep.

2. Don't know. I use the full sweep, and also sweep manually, among other things.

3. Every position of the mic will present a different result, and some "averages" will emerge.
But, the playback speaker location usually doesn't move, so the most "accurate" shot will be the one in the mixing position, in terms of seeing what is needed for a "flat" sound in that part of the room.

4. That is probably a good idea.

I will add, unless you have a "nice" room, most of your issues are likely to be in the lower frequencies. IMHO. Good luck.

PS It can sometimes be a really good idea to move the playback speakers positions, and see if it improves the sound.

Last edited by edva; 4 weeks ago at 02:39 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks man. All I need to know. Great
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear