The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desk placement in triangular shaped room
Old 4 weeks ago
Desk placement in triangular shaped room

Hi,

I've built a room in the attic which I eventually hope to use as a home mixing studio, although my wife has recently hijacked it since being forced to work from home. The room has a triangular prism like shape and I've attached a drawing of it in both feet and meters. I need to decide on a permanent place for my desk, which is limited because of the sloped walls. Where in the room would you avoid placing the desk? Is having the monitors directly under the sloped ceiling a mistake? My monitors will probably sit on desktop monitor stands. I plan to treat the room once I get my gear moved in.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Desk placement in triangular shaped room-img-1563.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

in that drawing I'd put it on the wall to the right opposite the door
that's basically the layout of my studio

Desk placement in triangular shaped room-studio-3.jpg

Desk placement in triangular shaped room-studio-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Desk placement in triangular shaped room-studio-2.jpg   Desk placement in triangular shaped room-studio-3.jpg  

Last edited by lovekrafty; 4 weeks ago at 11:07 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would start facing the wall opposite the door, so the speakers aim at the door. This lets you fire down the longest dimension, which is a good place to start. Some of the bass will leak out the door/rear wall, making your space acoustically larger at frequencies below what the wall/door contains within the room.

If you turn the peak of the ceiling into a giant broadband corner trap that would be a nice big bass trap, and handle your mids/highs in that area without taking up any floor space.

The angled part of the walls/ceiling could get broadband panels so your stereo imaging is in tact.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear