The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY GOBO Suggestions
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

DIY GOBO Suggestions

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking to build a couple gobos for my studio, and I have two of these heavy-duty rolling grids which measure 48in wide x 57in tall.

Any suggestions as to construction? I am thinking of building the same wood frame panels, filled with rockwool, covered with Guilford, which I am currently building for my walls and anchoring them to the grid on both sides. I'm just unsure of the depth that would work best and if I need to isolate the boxes from the grid behind with neoprene or mlv?

Thanks,
Christina
Attached Thumbnails
DIY GOBO Suggestions-griddisplay.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenYearKitsch View Post
Any suggestions as to construction? I am thinking of building the same wood frame panels, filled with rockwool, covered with Guilford, which I am currently building for my walls and anchoring them to the grid on both sides.
I would have made the same suggestion you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenYearKitsch View Post
I'm just unsure of the depth that would work best and if I need to isolate the boxes from the grid behind with neoprene or mlv?
If you are wanting gobos that simply help reduce unwanted reflections there is no need to do any moew than you are thinking of doing. If you want gobos that will assist in providing a bit of isolation between players then add a sheet of plasterboard, MDF or OSB to the metal frame and then add the two traps as you are planning to do. There is no need to isolate your traps from the frame.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response, Starlight. Since I am trying to make the most of every square foot in the studio, I think I will add the layer of OSB or MDF. Then, I'm thinking I'll build one side of the gobos to be mostly absorptive, and the other side to be a combination of absorptive and diffusive. That will hopefully give me more sound sculpting options.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear