The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help Deciding Studio Design
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help Deciding Studio Design

I am building my first studio mixing room and need help with the overall design of it.
I have a 15 foot by 11.5 foot space to work with. The room was built with a studio in mind so there is no windows, no odd shapes, it has an exterior door and all 4 walls are insulated.

I plan on making an ISO wall over the existing wall with 3"mineral wool but I was going to make it thicker in some spots like near the first reflection points and the corners . I'm also looking at using 2" Roxul in the corners with a pegboard layer to make some kind of membrane absorber. Lastly I would like to use some qrd diffusion but i know there is a lot of science behind it and i'm not sure what i should put or even if I should use it. I used the qrd dude calculator and read some websites and i was thinking of using 3 panels that are 4" deep , 2 P-7 and 1 P-11

The first photo is a horizontal room setup where I would be facing the long wall. I was thinking about making the ISO wall slant to put another exterior door because i know 1 isn't really enough. I have a couch i want to put in there (that's what you see on the bottom) and i was going to make the walls go around it to create a flush effect. There would be 6 ft from the listening position to the rear wall.

The Second Photo is the setup facing the short wall. I would not be able to put a second door so i was going to just put a large absorption panel on it.
I would have 10 feet from the listening position to the rear wall.

I just want to know which way it should be setup and what kind of diffusion would be best. Thanks

Side note: I plan for my desk to be 2 feet in depth.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Deciding Studio Design-img_0403.jpg   Help Deciding Studio Design-61180911245__2c3f0591-3ab2-46f2-9d1c-5f70dfe82fd4.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
2nd one is best.

A couple of things:

1) You may have to move the door up a couple of inches.

2) I wouldn't do a HH trap in RFZ area but behind your head is ok.

3) You may have to move desk up to get monitors closer to front wall to push up front wall SBIR into a range that it might be treated.

4) I wouldn't worry about diffusion on backwall as much until you get the bass response nice and even in case you need to build a membrane trap in the middle of back and front wall.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, just for clarification, when you say put the hh trap behind my head, are you saying put it behind the listening position?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog0928 View Post
Thanks, just for clarification, when you say put the hh trap behind my head, are you saying put it behind the listening position?
Yes.

On your drawing its the one near the door on each side.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Hey just a quick question, So i went along and built the 2nd picture and its going along well but i'm at a bit of a crossroads. So before i even made the designs of what i wanted the room to look like, i built a what i intend to be a mic room directly behind the back wall where the couch is. Its the same width as the control room and about 6 feet deep making it 6x11 feet. I've been thinking about how much i would really need a isolated room because im really only recording vocals and maybe a guitar. Would it be better to just eliminating that wall and making the room about 11x21 feet or just leaving the wall?
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog0928 View Post
. Would it be better to just eliminating that wall and making the room about 11x21 feet or just leaving the wall?
It depends.

Are you tracking other people coming in to the studio or are you the only person recording?

A larger control room would be preferable for different reasons, but if having a room isolated from the control room so you can monitor carefully on speakers is important or necessary then that changes.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear