The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A question about multiple sets of monitor placements.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A question about multiple sets of monitor placements.

Hi there - first post here. I'm going to be putting together a small studio w/ my partner for production/mixing, and have a question about placement of the monitors.

Since we're combining our gear, we will have two sets of monitors to use - I have a pair of Dynaudio LYD 8s, and he has a pair of Yamaha HS5s. One pair will sit on the raised corners of the desk, and another on a pair of monitor stands.

My assumption would be to put the 5's on the raised desk corners, and the 8s on the outside, monitor stands, since they can be spaced out more due to being louder. The alternative would be to place them on stands that are raised up more, behind the desk. (there will be about 3ft between the back of the desk, and the wall, for acoustic purposes)

Am I correct on this? Thanks for you time!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could mount both on stands. Assuming the desk allows the HS5s to be at an appropriate height and distance relative to the listening position that can work fine too. How many ns 10s are on meter bridges??? Id say most are.

You might want to look into something like sorbothane (tons of info here on GS) or aurlex mopads or the various other monitor decouplers if your going to desk mount. They can reduce resonances related to the speaker touching the desk.

Best luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
You could mount both on stands. Assuming the desk allows the HS5s to be at an appropriate height and distance relative to the listening position that can work fine too. How many ns 10s are on meter bridges??? Id say most are.

You might want to look into something like sorbothane (tons of info here on GS) or aurlex mopads or the various other monitor decouplers if your going to desk mount. They can reduce resonances related to the speaker touching the desk.

Best luck!
Thanks for this! Yeah I have a pair of ISOAcoustics for the HS5s. I've also read that the monitors should definitely be closer up against the wall i'm facing, so I think i'll probably put both on stands, behind the desk.

Again, thanks!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear