The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dead live room, slats on walls and ceiling?
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Dead live room, slats on walls and ceiling?

I know the title is a bit of an oxymoron but essentially, I want to liven up my dead recording space. It is actually a control room with thick absorbers on the ceiling and walls. I was helped by a gentleman named Avare on how to do the slats on the side walls and am now thinking if there is any point in doing some slats on the ceiling. Perhaps at the back of the room where I track to liven things up a bit? The ceiling height in the room is 8ft after treatment but the part at the back angles up and is actually about 9.5ft high. So I would say half the room is 8fth and the other half is 9.5ft

So is there any benefit from having slats on the ceiling?
Old 4th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
I know the title is a bit of an oxymoron but essentially, I want to liven up my dead recording space. It is actually a control room with thick absorbers on the ceiling and walls. I was helped by a gentleman named Avare on how to do the slats on the side walls and am now thinking if there is any point in doing some slats on the ceiling. Perhaps at the back of the room where I track to liven things up a bit? The ceiling height in the room is 8ft after treatment but the part at the back angles up and is actually about 9.5ft high. So I would say half the room is 8fth and the other half is 9.5ft

So is there any benefit from having slats on the ceiling?
what about adding a bunch of defusers like this - and other styles

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cearray-2-pack
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Yes there is an advantage to slats on the ceiling.

The guy named Avare
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post

The guy named Avare
Guy named Avare, is slap echo not a concern due to the ceiling slope? Would slats still be advantageous if the ceiling was flat?
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Guy named Avare, is slap echo not a concern due to the ceiling slope? Would slats still be advantageous if the ceiling was flat?
You know better. Slats disperse sound at the ends. A 9.5' ceiling with a mike"far" miked to 6' with 1' to the source has a 1st reflection 12 dB
down. The OP can choose the sat widths to control the the low frequency roll off of the reflections. Please do not confuse the OP with good hearted but misguided questions.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Sorry maybe I wasnt clear. The ceiling slopes but rather abruptly. So it is kind of two levels.. not a gradual slope if that makes sense. In fact rather think of it as two levels. Half the room at 9.5ft the other half at 8ft.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know better. Slats disperse sound at the ends. A 9.5' ceiling with a mike"far" miked to 6' with 1' to the source has a 1st reflection 12 dB
down. The OP can choose the sat widths to control the the low frequency roll off of the reflections. Please do not confuse the OP with good hearted but misguided questions.
Fair enough, thanks. My apologies to the OP for muddying the waters.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

The guy named Avare
Great. Thanks for chiming in again. I am in the process of cutting the slats to the measurements you suggested in the other thread. Remember the wood I have is 4" wide. You suggested doubling to make 8" slats so I would have 8", 4" and 2"slats . For the ceiling, would you recommend the same?
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
You suggested doubling to make 8" slats so I would have 8", 4" and 2"slats . For the ceiling, would you recommend the same?
Yes. However I recommend having the slots about 20% of the adjacent slat width. So adjacent to the 8" slats the slot on either side would be 1.6" or keeping to Imperial standards 1 5/8".

Enjoy!
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. However I recommend having the slots about 20% of the adjacent slat width. So adjacent to the 8" slats the slot on either side would be 1.6" or keeping to Imperial standards 1 5/8".

Enjoy!
Ok so if the slat widths are 8, 4 and 2" widths then the slots would be like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Dead live room, slats on walls and ceiling?-untitled-1-01.jpg  
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Great drawing. !.6" on both sides off the 8" and .8" between the 2" and 4" slats keeping 20%of the slat width of the wider slats.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great drawing. !.6" on both sides off the 8" and .8" between the 2" and 4" slats keeping 20%of the slat width of the wider slats.
Ok great thanks, I will upload a pic when I am done. Thanks Avare!
๐Ÿ“ Reply