The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reflecting highs absorbing mids
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Reflecting highs absorbing mids

I have a live room that I'm fairly happy with but for the frequencies in the mid range.
I find that reverb tails are a little long in this area and I'd like to absorb frequencies in the 1-4k range without affecting my highs.

I thought that building typical Roxul traps with a reflective surface that would absorb frequencies in the 1-4k range yet reflect above 4k would be ideal. I've looked for charts that will give me an idea of what materials would pass up to 4k yet reflect above that, but I've not had much luck. Thin plywood? Thick paper? Tin foil? Would anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
I have a live room that I'm fairly happy with but for the frequencies in the mid range.
I find that reverb tails are a little long in this area and I'd like to absorb frequencies in the 1-4k range without affecting my highs.

I thought that building typical Roxul traps with a reflective surface that would absorb frequencies in the 1-4k range yet reflect above 4k would be ideal. I've looked for charts that will give me an idea of what materials would pass up to 4k yet reflect above that, but I've not had much luck. Thin plywood? Thick paper? Tin foil? Would anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?
Have a look at Schultz for high frequency cut off and vary the depth of absorbent material for the low frequency cut off.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Have a look at Schultz for high frequency cut off and vary the depth of absorbent material for the low frequency cut off.
Yes, of course, perforated metal. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much Avare.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks avare !

Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, of course, perforated metal. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much Avare.
you are welcome. Please note that I referenced using the equations. By lower frequencies, as we are discussing, it maybe more economical to drill holes in plywood, etc. Even with the relatively low amount of holes it is still tedious. Layer the panels to reduce the number of operations of drilling.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
you are welcome. Please note that I referenced using the equations. By lower frequencies, as we are discussing, it maybe more economical to drill holes in plywood, etc. Even with the relatively low amount of holes it is still tedious. Layer the panels to reduce the number of operations of drilling.
Yes, that's my finding. A nice finished maple plywood is about a third of the cost of perforated metal and I can control the hole size and spacing whereas with metal, I'm limited to what I can find locally and it seems my choices are few.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, that's my finding. A nice finished maple plywood is about a third of the cost of perforated metal and I can control the hole size and spacing whereas with metal, I'm limited to what I can find locally and it seems my choices are few.
Fantastic! It seems strange about reading about local woods. Being in Ontario there are are only a couple of dozen woods. BC is famous for its trees..
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Hey, I grew up in Kitchener. A virtual stone's throw from you and of course, we can both relate to maple. The the leaf, the wood and the syrup.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

With wood you can progressively increase the amount of highs reflected by adding coats of laquer to it. They tuned the powerstation main room by ear adding one coat at a time until it sounded right.

This might be worth considering if you feel the room is too dull after things are installed.

I don't have any data that shows the range of frequencies laquer effects, or progessive measurements coat by coat.

Figured it was worth a mention though.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear