The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
membrane trap that makes use of the stud bays in inside-out wall?
Old 3rd June 2020
membrane trap that makes use of the stud bays in inside-out wall?

I haven't seen many designs here using the following, and am wondering if there's something fundamentally flawed with the idea.

For a control room rear wall where the sheathing is on the outside of room (AKA inside-out wall), why not make use of the studs and create membrane absorbers in that space? I know it would need to be well-sealed/caulked in the stud bays, no problem. But seems like you could save some precious treatment space this way. Furring strips would let you get the face (wood, MLV...) to the needed distance from the insulation (or bare cavity depending on needs).

I can post a sketch if unclear. Assuming you can visualize such a scenario, why wouldn't you use it as such, as opposed to putting the trap further into the room, or at least placing a wall up against the stud bays (and potentially decreasing LF TL given an additional leaf...)?
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Head

If you're doing inside out framing this is an easy way to implement membrane traps. Regardless of which side of the wall your studs are located, the highest pressure will be the area nearest to the drywall surface.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear