The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soffit Style Bass Trap Build: Screen Build Question:
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Soffit Style Bass Trap Build: Screen Build Question:

I'm currently building some soffit style bass traps for all four corners of my studio. I'm building these traps out of 1x2 wood strips. The traps will be filled with Rockwool safe 'n sound insulation, with the insulation being 18x18 inch thickness inside the frames. I was going to wrap the backsides facing the wall in burlap and mount the backsides to the wall with fasteners. I probably don't need the burlap on the back but I just wanted to keep the stuff in place.

But instead of wrapping the fronts of the frames in fabric and just stapling it in place, I thought I would build removable screens for the two front sides of each trap. This would make the traps nicer in appearance and allow me to get inside if I ever needed to. I'd be fastening the front screens in place with Velcro.

I was going to create these removable screens out of 1x2 strips to the measurements of these sides with the fabric pulled tight and stapled around the screen frames. The fabric will be GOM.

But this will leave a gap between the fabric material and the insulation (about a 1.5 inch gap) because of the combined framing of the screens and the soffit framing itself. Is this gap a problem for acoustic treatment?

I've attached a picture of one of the traps. There are four of these at just over 6 feet tall for each corner and there will be smaller traps placed on the top of each of these so the entire corner reaches the ceiling. I did it this way because the materials were already cut in those dimensions from leftover pieces in storage.

Cheers and thanks!

Edit: Sorry is this is a dumb question.
Attached Thumbnails
Soffit Style Bass Trap Build: Screen Build Question:-traps.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Head

No problem at all doing this.
Old 3rd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStevens View Post
No problem at all doing this.
Awesome - thanks for the reply Tom!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Deleted - question irrelevant.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask another question regarding this build.

The framing for these units are now installed into the 4 corners of the room from floor to ceiling. I'm now filling them with Safe n Sound. The Safe n Sound was reclaimed from another project I did years ago, which was taken down.

In the section I highlighted in red and with an arrow, I had to slightly compress the insulation sheets in order to fill this particular zone to the top of that section. I was going to put 9 sheets originally with a slight gap at the top but I'm able to get 10 in with a nice tight fit.

Is it OK that the insulation is being compressed to do this? Again, sorry if this is a silly question, I've seen other information that stated not to compress this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Soffit Style Bass Trap Build: Screen Build Question:-safensound.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Don't compress Safe n Sound. It's already 2.5pcf density. Gap is better for what you're doing here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStevens View Post
Don't compress Safe n Sound. It's already 2.5pcf density. Gap is better for what you're doing here.
I can go back in and remove those extra pieces on the top of the stacks if it would improve things. I ended up doing that in all four corners.

Normally each piece of rockwool is about 3 inches and it appears they're losing about 3/16ths+ or so on each piece.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear