The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My desk is resonating? what can I do?
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

My desk is resonating? what can I do?

Hello everyone,

I started building a studio in my production room because I noticed how difficult it was to mix with speakers in there. I noticed how from 80-150 Herz everything sounded so muddy and muffled hence making it impossible to mix a sub/bass. I created with thick rock wool some bass traps which I put in the angles behind the speakers and some other panels on the first reflections points left and right. I then placed the monitors on stands and wow everything sounded so clear and I could actually understand the sub in a track finally instead of just hearing some loud rumble. Unfortunately the desk I had was way too small and I couldn't fit much in there so I decided to get a new one which is: 2020x80x75. this size is pretty good for me but as soon I installed it I noticed that all the rumble and muffled bass came back, like if I removed all the bass traps/ panels.
Now, I think it's pretty evident the desk is the problem. the main difference this desk has with the previous one apart from the size is thickness (pretty thin) and height approx 10 cm smaller.
is there anyway I can fix this without having to through away more money and buy a new desk?
would changing the position of the monitor stands make a difference? they are really close to the desk at the moment.
what If I increase the height of the desk by putting some blocks under it?
Also, I had to push the desk closer to the wall since it was bigger in width, thus making the speakers closer to the wall, is that bad?
what if I put some panels right behind the monitors on the wall? would that solve the problem?
I read about increasing the thickness of the desk , would that work? and how do I go about doing something like this?

Thanks in advance for whom will be willing to help me.
Room size: 340x320cm
monitor distance from wall: 20cm
my position in the room: 160cm from the front wall where I have the speakers
Lmk if you need any other info.

Thanks in advance for whom will be willing to help me.

Gherardo
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherghero View Post
Unfortunately the desk I had was way too small and I couldn't fit much in there so I decided to get a new one which is: 2020x80x75.
Desk Replacement. Design ideas?

Question about dip at 1KHz
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply.
So by reading the articles I understand that I just need to get a new desk?
Possibly an acoustic desk? I see they are very pricey.
I'm not really trying to build a mixing studio.
Any quick fix I can do to my desk instead of replacing it and throwing away money?
Old 29th May 2020
Sounds like the speakers are on the desk - that could be the problem. Put speakers on stands or if not possible get iso platforms to minimize the effect fo the desk becoming part of the speaker cabinet.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherghero View Post
Hey thanks for the reply.
So by reading the articles I understand that I just need to get a new desk?
Possibly an acoustic desk? I see they are very pricey.
I'm not really trying to build a mixing studio.
Any quick fix I can do to my desk instead of replacing it and throwing away money?
Well, you donΒ΄t β€œneed to” …

You could try and modify your desk (cutting it down, in depth especially, or perforate certain areas if possible) or add absorbers to areas not used.

Make sure to never put speakers on the desk. Always on stands (if not in wall or possibly on subs high enough to act as stands) some distance away from the desk (the further away the better in terms of interfering reflections off the desk surface, but possibly bad in other ways like modal nulls etc).
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

no the speakers are on stands
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

yes they are on stands. ok I will try to move them further back and let you know!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear