The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
guilford of maine fabric to create white colored acoustic panels
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

guilford of maine fabric to create white colored acoustic panels

Hello,

I have some charcoal-grey acoustic foam on order. That color can be kind of dreary in large quantities, and studio foam has a strong aptitude for looking unsightly. Plus my mixing room has white paint accents. So I was thinking of getting white Guilford of Maine fabric and wrapping the acoustic foam with the white fabric. Is that a sensible idea?

I am guessing the fabric is intentionally designed to allow sound to pass through rather than reflect, but I'm not sure.

I saw white studio foam. But there was less variety, it was more expensive, and people complained that the white foam turned yellow over time. But unlike the foam, the fabric should maintain its color. And if I attach it with velcro, I can take it off for periodic cleaning. Plus if I get bored, I can get some new fabric a few years from now and do some new studio decorating.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Why foam? Cancel the order and get some mineral wool and wrap that in Guilford of Maine fabric. The GoM fabric has been tested - stats are on GoM's web site - which shows that while 100% of all frequencies do not pass through, it is as acoustically transparent as it can be. It is widely used in studios.

For periodic cleaning, just use a vacuum cleaner; no need to dismantle the traps.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info regarding the fabric. Foam works reasonably for high and mid frequencies, and it is lightweight so it can be mounted on walls easily (the Alton Everest book makes comments to this effect). I'll take care of the lows in some other manner. Good tip on using a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by gearstudent; 24th May 2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 25th May 2020
Slabs of Owens 703 are pretty cheap and can usually be ordered from your local building supply big box store. If you don't want to build frames, you can simply wrap them in fabric and secure it with spray on photo adhesive.

If you're determined to have pure white fabric, the Guilford FR701 2100 fabric color is #224 . But it will really show dirt! If it were me, I'd go with Eggshell (#144) or Bone (#748).
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

The guilford of maine fabric is meant to let sound go through so that it is absorbed by the insulation material. It does its job perfectly, but it implies the fabric is not weaved as thigh as it could, so the color of the foam behind it may show a little.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear