The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
does sound absorbtion have to be directly on the wall?
Old 2nd May 2020
Lives for gear

does sound absorbtion have to be directly on the wall?

Hello,

Typically people glue or otherwise fasten sheets of acoustic foam onto walls to reduce echo.

I was wondering: if you had the foam on mobile panels that were a few inches from the wall, would that still work? I was thinking of using room dividers and putting foam on them:

https://www.amazon.com/SQUARE-FURNIT...376213&sr=8-11

It seems like you would also get some non-scientific diffusion, because the panels from the room dividers would reflect the non-absorbed sound at angles rather than directly back. Maybe perhaps, they also could serve as a bit of a bass trap by trapping the bass in the airspace between the room dividers and the wall.

But I don't know if you lose a lot of absorbtion efficiency if they are "floating" away from the wall like this. And studio acoustics is a complex topic in general. So I'm wondering what the general concerns might be for this wacky idea.

Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2020
You can try to simulate what you have in mind at Acoustic Modelling: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/
Old 2nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
Hello,

Typically people glue or otherwise fasten sheets of acoustic foam onto walls to reduce echo.

I was wondering: if you had the foam on mobile panels that were a few inches from the wall, would that still work? I was thinking of using room dividers and putting foam on them:

https://www.amazon.com/SQUARE-FURNIT...376213&sr=8-11

It seems like you would also get some non-scientific diffusion, because the panels from the room dividers would reflect the non-absorbed sound at angles rather than directly back. Maybe perhaps, they also could serve as a bit of a bass trap by trapping the bass in the airspace between the room dividers and the wall.

But I don't know if you lose a lot of absorbtion efficiency if they are "floating" away from the wall like this. And studio acoustics is a complex topic in general. So I'm wondering what the general concerns might be for this wacky idea.

Thanks!
You have so many misconceptions. Read the chapter Absorption in MHoA.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear