The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3 Leaf System Question
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

3 Leaf System Question

Hi,

As I'm moving to a new studio space soon, I have a design question regarding sound isolation:

My last control room was built "inside out" (one leaf of drywall on the outside, absorption and diffusion on the inside). I really liked the acoustics, so I'd like to build my new room on the same principle.

In the new space, I'm planning to divide the recording and the control room by a hallway (about 100cm). The wall to the recording room does already exist and is a basic drywall construction (2 layers of drywall on each side, with isolation in between). With an "Inside out" control room, this would be a 3-leaf-system (recording room wall: 2 leaves, control room wall: 1 leaf).

I guess the hallway (big air gap) between the 2. and the 3. leaf is at least not bad. I know the formula to calculate the resonance frequency for a 2 leaf system, how do I calculate a 3 leaf system?

Cheers,
Christoph
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It’s like a filter, the gaps are capacitors, so a large cap and prolly a small one, if the difference is large enough the influence of the small cap is nrglectable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Do you have blueprints and/or drawing with material detail you can publish?

Ray H.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Why not just remove and re-use the drywall on one side of the existing wall?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

With a 1 m space the Fmam is so low that it does not matter.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
With a 1 m space the Fmam is so low that it does not matter.
So wall performance would not improve adding 2x layers to one of the walls instead of having the same mass distribution in a 3 leaf system?

Seems like an example of a benefit would be less noise leakage from between hall and control or tracking room. Bass player loudly agruing with girlfriend on phone in hallway. Total buzzkill.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
So wall performance would not improve adding 2x layers to one of the walls instead of having the same mass distribution in a 3 leaf system?

Seems like an example of a benefit would be less noise leakage from between hall and control or tracking room. Bass player loudly agruing with girlfriend on phone in hallway. Total buzzkill.
I wrote nothing of the kind. I was responding to the OP's concern and thread title.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
I wrote nothing of the kind. I was responding to the OP's concern and thread title.
Oh ok thanks for the clarification.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

pg 365-366

Engineering Noise Control Book has a bit of information.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Look at equations 3.16, 3.17 and the associated text around them in Eslami. The structure you described would have f1 over an octave and half below f2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search