The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on how to treat this room
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Head

REW newbie and clueless - any help would be appreciated

Here is a rough floor plan of my bedroom studio (ceiling is 7.5')

My desk as on the 9'2'' wall
(there is approximately 12" on either side of the desk)

Speakers (Rokit 5's) are on isoacoustic stands on the desk app. 39" to center from the outside walls) and 5" from the rear to wall)

The sliding doors are covered in sliding plantation shutters.

I am perplexed re: how to treat this room as it is not a typical 4 cornered room.

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to treat this room-screen-shot-2020-02-16-5.46.38-pm.jpg  
Old 17th February 2020
The way I see it, you have three possible positions really (left, bottom and right). Measure each of the positions and then post the Room EQ Wizard .mdat.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Head

OK I did a measurement - here is the .mdat and a screenshot of the "waterfall"

I placed my Blue Spark XLR condenser mic in the listening positions
Both monitors were on (KRK Rokit5 G2)
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to treat this room-screen-shot-2020-02-16-10.53.47-pm.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat REW_1.mdat (137.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 17th February 2020
Your microphone is a cardioid, do you have an omni microphone? I don't think measurements with a cardioid are valid.

Please measure from 15-20000 Hz, and also speakers separately (L, R, L+R, sub, L+R+sub).

And please do more positions.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Head

Thank you for your responses - today, I moved my speakers so they are both 12" from the front wall and they now form an equilateral triangle with a spot just past my ears.

Here is where I am at now:

The space between my desk and the wall is not large enough for a 24” bass trap (the max diagonal space is 21.5”) — are there bass traps that can accommodate this? Also, two more questions:

1-do the bass traps go from floor to ceiling? and
2-I have crown moulding (4” vertical and 1” from the baseboards) and baseboards (4” vertical and 1” depth from the wall) - as such, can the bass traps be installed in between the baseboards and crown moulding or will I need to cut the baseboard and crown moulding so the bass traps can be installed flush against the floor and ceiling? (attaching photos).

I know any advice you can give will not be "scientifically specific" to my room but, as I have no treatment right now, I have actually thought about getting some high end IEMs for tracking and mixing and doing away with attempting to treat this room but, I am not a quitter and thought I would persevere and see what I could do to try and treat it.

Thank you again.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to treat this room-screen-shot-2020-02-20-5.39.13-pm.jpg   Advice on how to treat this room-screen-shot-2020-02-20-5.39.38-pm.jpg   Advice on how to treat this room-img_2624.jpg  
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEsquire View Post
The space between my desk and the wall is not large enough for a 24” bass trap (the max diagonal space is 21.5”) — are there bass traps that can accommodate this?
You can always build bass traps yourself.

Quote:
1-do the bass traps go from floor to ceiling?
Yes.

PS: Get stands for your speakers and think about your desk because it's one huge reflective surface. My alternative was a workpad: Need help with next steps for 15 m² room
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
You can always build bass traps yourself.

Yes.

PS: Get stands for your speakers and think about your desk because it's one huge reflective surface. My alternative was a workpad: Need help with next steps for 15 m² room

The monitors are on isoAcoustic stands
https://isoacoustics.com/products/is...lation-stands/
Old 21st February 2020
Okay, can you get the speakers (tweeter) up to ear position and then pointed at you, rather than the desk?
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Okay, can you get the speakers (tweeter) up to ear position and then pointed at you, rather than the desk?

OK I adjusted the height - the back used to be ½" lower than the front
I have now adjusted it so the front is ½" higher than the back

I do notice a difference - thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to treat this room-img_2628.jpg   Advice on how to treat this room-img_2628.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2020
No, I meant, get the tweeter at ear level.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
No, I meant, get the tweeter at ear level.
OK - so, you are saying they should be completely horizontal at my ears, not leaning back on the stand?
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
OK - so, you are saying they should be completely horizontal at my ears, not leaning back on the stand?
Yes, and that's why I initially suggested speaker stands.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, and that's why I initially suggested speaker stands.

Got ya - all I had to do was adjust the isoAcoustic stands and make sure they were level (thank you iPhone Measure App)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search