The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stone Floor-Good, bad, or...?
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Stone Floor-Good, bad, or...?

Anyone have advice in regard to a stone floor?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Floor-Good, bad, or...?-220001328_17_1-2-.jpg  
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Good
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

In a studio with adequate acoustic treatment on the ceiling and walls a stone floor is one of the best options, sonically speaking.

Personally I would choose a smooth floor over a stone floor simply because I have a tiked floor at the moment and as I move around, still seated in my chair, the chair's casters get caught in the grooves between the tiles and click when they jump a groove. I will be laying a laminated floor to get a smooth finish. You need to decide and choose what will work best and look best for you.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
In a studio with adequate acoustic treatment on the ceiling and walls a stone floor is one of the best options, sonically speaking.
A side question, and quite possibly a stupid one!

But why wouldn't you need acoustic treatment on the floor as well as walls and ceilings? Is it that your gear acts as acoustic treatment?

If you had carpet or something on the floor would you then not need treatment on the ceiling?

Thanks for the replies thus far regarding stone.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Because we walk on floors.
Carpet only absorbs the HF, creating muddy/boomy sounding rooms
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Because we walk on floors.

Carpet only absorbs the HF, creating muddy/boomy sounding rooms
But if you need treatment on walls and ceilings, 5 of the surfaces of a room, why not some sort of treatment on the sixth surface? I suppose you're saying
treatment on the floor would be better, but because you walk on the floor, it would get in the way?

Again, sorry if this is stupid, but I'm just curious why a stone floor is good, but a stone ceiling, or other hard surfaced ceiling, is bad (unless treated).
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 View Post
But if you need treatment on walls and ceilings, 5 of the surfaces of a room, why not some sort of treatment on the sixth surface? I suppose you're saying
treatment on the floor would be better, but because you walk on the floor, it would get in the way?

Again, sorry if this is stupid, but I'm just curious why a stone floor is good, but a stone ceiling, or other hard surfaced ceiling, is bad (unless treated).
Not stupid to ask questions.

Read this thread.
Non-Environment Control Rooms
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
As Jason’s first answer said, we walk on the floors. We also want to be able to clean the floors, because gravity pulls everything heavier than air toward the floor.
Shag carpets were probably the most sonically effective non-reflective floor surface, but they were practically impossible to clean. I don’t lose any sleep over the death of shag carpets.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Addict
I am pretty sure although it sounds counter intuitive that a solid floor of any type is just a boundary and has not much "sound" of itself. You would think that a wood floor sounds really different to stone but really they are just boundaries. Carpet sucks out high mid and high @ 2k up for me in this room. Much easier to vacuum without.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search