The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GIK acoustics basstraps just placed on the floor?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

GIK acoustics basstraps just placed on the floor?

My monitor tweeters and ear level is at 125 cm or so. GIK acoustics 244 bass traps are 120 cm tall. Sure, I can lower the chair and the speakers 5 cm.

Why do people always hang traps and panels rather than just resting them on the ground? Do I have to lift them via stands? I cannot hang anything here.

Can I just place them on the floor? And if I have to lift them, could I be using anything I have laying around, such as some piece of furniture or wooden blocks? are there requirements on what the panel should be resting on?
Old 15th February 2020
If you need to ask the question, you don't seem to have enough panels to just stack them.

To answer your question, reflection points are important to cover, but room corners (this includes ceiling and floor) get you more effect from what I've heard.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
If you need to ask the question, you don't seem to have enough panels to just stack them.
I really don't. I need to get the best out of what I have. One bass trap per corner, so I need to choose a height. I well know it's not going to be the best sounding studio in the world. But it's just for me making my own music and making it sound as unterrible as possible.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Reflections arent tiny dots. The traps should be floor to ceiling ideally, but at bare minimum the center of the trap should be at ear height in the center of the reflection.

Recommended minimum for first reflections is 4 inches of material spaced 4 inches off the wall. If only using 2 foot by 4 foot panels you would want a minimum of 16 panels.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
If only using 2 foot by 4 foot panels you would want a minimum of 16 panels.
Sorry, I don't understand why this. I was thinking of going with this kind of setup:

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...kit-package-1/

Isn't that a "bare minimum"? 16 panels would cost too much for almost anyone for a home studio!
Old 15th February 2020
If you don't have a whole lot of money, DIY. Here is a good thread: Started building some traps
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleduck View Post
Sorry, I don't understand why this. I was thinking of going with this kind of setup:

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...kit-package-1/

Isn't that a "bare minimum"? 16 panels would cost too much for almost anyone for a home studio!
That kit alone will not make a huge difference in most rooms.

You should start by measuring your room and seeing where the problem areas are. The 242 panels are not going to be effective for treating below 200hz, and with such little surface area, it wont be very effective even where it does absorb.

One could argue that it will be a little better than nothing, and thats true, but to the same effect that roller skates would be an improvement over walking if you needed to travel 100 miles.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

I don't understand, so you're telling me that one has to cover up the whole room with panels to have any worthwhile effect?

Again remember we're talking of a home studio. "Semi-treated" is what I'm going for. Just to make mixing easier.

You're telling me four bass traps in the four corners plus two reflection panels on the sides are not going to make much of a difference?

Here's the ugly REW measurement I took.
https://imgur.com/a/inknLww
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
. The 242 panels are not going to be effective for treating below 200hz.
I'm going with the 244 bass traps for corners and possibly on the sides if that's a good idea. I read several times that just a few panels make a pretty good difference, I'm going to order on Amazon (I do find GIK panels there), measure, and return them if they don't make much of any.

If it's not worth to get four bass traps do let me know, so I save the money. But again, Amazon returns.

I can't shell out thousands for acoustic treatment and I'm not going DYI for reasons. If four bass traps are worthless, ok, I will accept that and mix on headphones.
Old 15th February 2020
Quote:
I can't shell out thousands for acoustic treatment and I'm not going DYI for reasons.
If you have friends nearby that are also in the field, why not involve them in a build?
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't understand, so you're telling me that one has to cover up the whole room with panels to have any worthwhile effect?

Again remember we're talking of a home studio. "Semi-treated" is what I'm going for. Just to make mixing easier.

You're telling me four bass traps in the four corners plus two reflection panels on the sides are not going to make much of a difference?

Here's the ugly REW measurement I took.
https://imgur.com/a/inknLww
Yes, thats what i'm saying. You'll just get a different version of bad.

For accurate mixing you need even decay times and an ISD gap of 20ms. A flat FR is desireable too.

You'd be better off posting your mdat.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going with the 244 bass traps for corners and possibly on the sides if that's a good idea. I read several times that just a few panels make a pretty good difference, I'm going to order on Amazon (I do find GIK panels there), measure, and return them if they don't make much of any.

If it's not worth to get four bass traps do let me know, so I save the money. But again, Amazon returns.

I can't shell out thousands for acoustic treatment and I'm not going DYI for reasons. If four bass traps are worthless, ok, I will accept that and mix on headphones.
Bags of unfaced r30 are sold at home depot for $40. Diy is way cheaper than premade traps, and can be more effective. How they look are all on you though.

Im not saying GIK is bad or doesnt work. Their products are beautiful and the test data shows they work, but you need lots of treatment to properly treat your room.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Bags of unfaced r30 are sold at home depot for $40.
I live in Europe so no Home Depot here. Don't know what r30 is. Rockwool?
Old 15th February 2020
The thread I linked gives you some more materials you can look into. Here is a longer thread with more materials: Common Gas Flow Resistivity numbers.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I live in Europe so no Home Depot here. Don't know what r30 is. Rockwool?
R value designates thermal insulation performance and thickness, but thats not the important part. You just want thick, lightweight fluffy fiber with a low gfr value.

I believe this product is available in europe.
https://www.knaufnorthamerica.com/en...lation/ecobatt

Start down the rabbit hole here...
At what depth does fiberglass bat insulation become the better choice over rock wool?
Old 4 weeks ago
As you (the OP) seem to be in a similar position to me - i.e not a boat load of cash to throw at full acoustic treatment but not going the DIY route (for me based mostly on time and rather paying a bit more for it to look professional) so i'll share how i'm approaching my room incase it helps. I have what would be a bedroom used as my studio so it's not huge and by no means perfect but it's what I have so there are compromises although room proportions seem ok - at least it's a rectangle.

In my case due to cost i'm adding treatment as and when I can afford and have researched what is required and what next panels will offer the best improvements. I have a pair of GIK tri-traps on my front wall - sat on the floor and just over half height of the room, covering maybe 55-60% height. My speaker tops are almost level with the tri-trap tops. These made a huge improvement at the front of the room. I based this placement - as Johann mentioned, that the top and bottom corners you have 3 sides meeting (2 walls plus floor) so that's a good area to target for maximum benefit if you can't do floor to ceiling right away.

I have, due to problems with door and window placement on my rear wall that do not allow for tri-traps or chunks, a pair of 300mm wide GIK monster traps hung at the top of the wall also covering just over half room height - I based this position on being the opposite placement of my tri-traps so that at each end of the room is a bass trap at a particular height, right or wrong i'm not sure but seems to work ok as these also made a vast improvement at the back of the room. Both of these I am adding to with more traps to be full floor to ceiling height in all corners as soon as I can. I was amazed at the difference a pair of 300mm monster traps made to my room. My further plan is to bolster the rear corners with monster panels on the side walls forming a corner with the rear wall panels. The rear wall panels are mounted around 2-3 inches away from the side walls because there's a light switch on one side wall so needed to leave space to have access and each panel sit up against the window sill and curtain pole. When I get to having the side wall panels the gap at those side points will at least be covered by the side wall panels. Maybe not ideal but unavoidable with the light switch. One of these side walls is actually the door which is only 17 cm's from the back wall - thankfully GIK monster traps are 16.5 cm's deep so I managed to fit the deepest panels possible.

I also have a GIK panel mounted as a cloud above listening position covering one of the first reflection points. Again when affordable I will add to the right wall first reflection point but on my left wall I have a large rack of vinyl records which cannot be positioned elsewhere due to space in my house causing another problem with first reflection panel placement. I then also need something on the front wall to control SBIR. This should then cover my bare minimum requirements and I can tweak in future as necessary.

@ johannburkard and @ Jason Foi are knowledgeable dudes which you will see in many acoustic treatment threads and have offered good advice so don't dismiss it just because it may be not what you were expecting. If you cannot afford all the panels you need right now get what you can and add to them. I found that this method has helped me understand how each addition helps the overall sound of the room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
I have a pair of GIK tri-traps on my front wall ...
@ mrfantastic , I appreciate your praise of me (which I think is undeserved) but I just wanted to say your post would be on another level with pics.
Old 4 weeks ago
@ johannburkard it's well deserved IMO - your many posts on the subject to help others are based on experience and grounded with a sensible approach.
I'll get to pics at point - when I learn how to post pics that is

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search