The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it true room ratios aren't as important in live / rehearsal rooms? If so, why?
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear

Is it true room ratios aren't as important in live / rehearsal rooms? If so, why?

I am looking to open a rehearsal space business and want to provide as best of an acoustic experience even if the room's aren't being used as high-end recording studios.

I have seen posts indicating that room ratios in live or rehearsal rooms aren't necessarily as important as in the control rooms. Is this true?

If so why? I expect it's because of the multiple sources of sound that might be in less exact locations that mounted studio monitors, but that's just a guess.

Should I still strive to achieve something similar to the ratio's in Rod's book or does it really not matter and I can focus on maximizing the sq footage I have for building as many reasonable size rooms to increase my revenue?

For my scenario is it as simple as to just make sure I'm not at least off from being a cube by 10% in one dimension at least or something like that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Do you want to play in feces? As rooms get larger the ratios become less important. The first guideline you wrote will take you a long way to good room. The second is ask here a lot. Talk is cheap, material is expensive.

Enjoy!
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Do you want to play in feces? As rooms get larger the ratios become less important. The first guideline you wrote will take you a long way to good room. The second is ask here a lot. Talk is cheap, material is expensive.

Enjoy!

So what I believe you mean by my first guideline is to follow Rod's suggestions as much as possible. Are there any materials that explain why there are various ratios even between Sepermeyer and Louden? Are they all 'equal' in their abilities or are some more suited for XYZ?

Ratios Sepermeyer
Height Width Length
H 1 1.14 1.39
W 1 1.28 1.54
L 1 1.6 2.33

Ratios Louden
Height Width Length
H 1 1.4 1.9
W 1 1.3 1.9
L 1 1.5 2.1

I expect the room sizes of anything less than 2000 cu ft is still considered small, 2000-5000 cu ft medium and 5000+ cu ft a large room regardless of if it's a control room or live room since sound is sound.

Right now I'm spec'ing out 3150 cu ft rooms, but will likely need to go smaller for some if not all.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2will View Post
So what I believe you mean by my first guideline is to follow Rod's suggestions as much as possible. Are there any materials that explain why there are various ratios even between Sepermeyer and Louden? Are they all 'equal' in their abilities or are some more suited for XYZ?

Ratios Sepermeyer
Height Width Length
H 1 1.14 1.39
W 1 1.28 1.54
L 1 1.6 2.33

Ratios Louden
Height Width Length
H 1 1.4 1.9
W 1 1.3 1.9
L 1 1.5 2.1

I expect the room sizes of anything less than 2000 cu ft is still considered small, 2000-5000 cu ft medium and 5000+ cu ft a large room regardless of if it's a control room or live room since sound is sound.

Right now I'm spec'ing out 3150 cu ft rooms, but will likely need to go smaller for some if not all.
Such rambling. Follow Rod's advice AND stay away from integer multiples.

Are you building rehearsal at a price point or high end? As good as any comparison is in BBC 1993-08.

It acoustics it is small or large rooms based on frequency. There is no "medium" except in marketing. It is like "medium field" speakers.

Are you pregnant? Just a little bit.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Such rambling. Follow Rod's advice AND stay away from integer multiples.

Are you building rehearsal at a price point or high end? As good as any comparison is in BBC 1993-08.

It acoustics it is small or large rooms based on frequency. There is no "medium" except in marketing. It is like "medium field" speakers.

Are you pregnant? Just a little bit.
Rod's book outlines medium sized rooms to have cu ft of 2000-5000 sq ft.

I'm building rehearsal rooms at a price point. High value, and not necessarily high quality. But as your signature states, good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction. Hence why I started this thread.

I was simply curious if room ratios outlined in Rod's book are relevant for live/rehearsal rooms or are really only important when building a control room.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2will View Post
Rod's book outlines medium sized rooms to have cu ft of 2000-5000 sq ft.

I'm building rehearsal rooms at a price point. High value, and not necessarily high quality. But as your signature states, good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction. Hence why I started this thread.

I was simply curious if room ratios outlined in Rod's book are relevant for live/rehearsal rooms or are really only important when building a control room.
Thank you for the clarifications.

As I first wrote in other words "garbage in, garbage out." It is impossible to give you more than general comments as we do not even know the height of your ceilings.
As somewhat of a guideline attached is a graph by Eric Desart.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it true room ratios aren't as important in live / rehearsal rooms?  If so, why?-desart-room-ratios.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search