The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions

Hi! I’m looking at moving and renting this apartment. I would setup in the “bedroom” but it’s far from a traditional bedroom. It doesn’t have a closed off ceiling. The ceiling is shared with the rest of the apartment.

My thoughts are I would put my mixing position about where the dresser is in these photos, projecting toward the back (solid) wall. I would add bass traps pillars to every corner, add a sliding door, and add rockwool panels to all the walls. I’m thinking adding 2 columns high of panels on the back wall, as well adding a few on the “outside” wall. Lastly, I would add a cloud over the mixing position and a few rugs for the concrete floor.

Is it crazy to try to make a room like this sound good? I know there’s tons of variables with it, but I feel like it might be possible to make it sound decent/good. I’m not worried about other parts of the space being able to hear the audio.

You can also view the room here in a virtual tour. The room is in the back, toward the front door.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?model=M7JLVF2R8Ge
Attached Thumbnails
Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-16ba10b5-42cd-4b91-98ff-7f5d52080a65.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-4f3b5f26-03ce-4354-9e4e-65459763cf1f.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-8f858bae-5085-4a37-9340-d5a7a2407127.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-17bb459a-121f-4cf4-ba19-7e8679ccdd87.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-a41d63f8-31f4-4f2a-b413-c23b3881ff89.jpg  

Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-39d0674d-aac3-4c69-bbbe-c847dee77950.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Cool looking space. Probably going to be challenging to make it sound good, but it also doesn't have to be perfect. Your panels will travel with you when you move, and in my experience any quality absorptive treatment should at least help. I've got a far more traditional 10x14x8ish room equipped with RealTraps and it's made a pretty significant difference.. of course my room is probably a much easier problem to solve than yours... but still, as much treatment as you can manage, plus a bogo setup of some kind should help for tracking. For mixing.. hard to say. It's probably going to take some experimentation, and lots of work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks like it'll be a fun challenge. I've personally found that tall rooms benefit from diffusion but it really depends on what you want to do with it and how live or dead you want it to be. I really like the look of the room and the decor opportunities it presents.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback! I for sure see it as challenging but I like a good challenge haha. I compose music for libraries mostly with synths and pianos, some percussion. So for the most part, the dryer the better haha

Thanks for the feedback! I for sure see it as challenging but I like a good challenge haha. I compose music for libraries mostly with synths and pianos, some percussion. So for the most part, the dryer the better and good low end is important haha

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t crazy for trying a space like this
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Would anyone has suggestions on the best mixing position for the room? My thoughts are to be setup near the tall wall, projecting toward the rest of the apartment. I feel like that would cause less reflections with the smaller wall. With treatment of course
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Moderators, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong sub forum. Is it possible to move it to studios-acoustics?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGegelman View Post
Would anyone has suggestions on the best mixing position for the room? My thoughts are to be setup near the tall wall, projecting toward the rest of the apartment. I feel like that would cause less reflections with the smaller wall. With treatment of course
hard to tell without a floorplan
but monitors back “against“ (not too close.. i think as much as 1/3 into the length of the room as a general guideline, depending on available space) facing into the length of the room is a probably a good place to start.

studio acoustics sub will probably be a more fruitful place for such info as you said
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
hard to tell without a floorplan
but monitors back “against“ (not too close.. i think as much as 1/3 into the length of the room as a general guideline, depending on available space) facing into the length of the room is a probably a good place to start.

studio acoustics sub will probably be a more fruitful place for such info as you said

Thanks for the help. ill create a post in the studio acoustics sub
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Admins for moving the post to the correct sub
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

In your situation it seems the Room-Within-a-Room approach would be very straightforward. You could even go with extra high ceilings.

Imagine putting a pergola that barely fits in the space. then drape sound adsorbers on and around the pergola. You will probably need a double layer with airspace between the layers and any of the original walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-pergola00.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-pergolaspringclamps.jpg   Unique room, acoustic treatment suggestions-pergolasuprememover.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsci2 View Post
In your situation it seems the Room-Within-a-Room approach would be very straightforward. You could even go with extra high ceilings.

Imagine putting a pergola that barely fits in the space. then drape sound adsorbers on and around the pergola. You will probably need a double layer with airspace between the layers and any of the original walls.
That could be cool. I'd love to keep the room ascetically clean as possible, but open to the idea of a room in a room.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
That could be cool. I'd love to keep the room ascetically clean as possible, but open to the idea of a room in a room.
LOL!
My setup using the pergola with moving blankets is so ugly that I don't show it very often. But the sound is so clean! You hear what the speakers put out and that's it. It takes some experimentation but it's worth it acoustically.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a issue in your bedroom suite idea - the cranking big 'space heater' right above - and all the water pipes coming down. Now you could always just shut off the heater - but you can't stop people from using the pipes.

Looking at your space I think the best Mix position would be facing the windows in the front room. Which I notices has no Monitor nor a good place to put a Monitor. Guess you are watching on a Laptop?

Anywhoo - are you buying or renting? If Renting nothing can touch the walls (the current tenant didn't put any pictures on the wall) - unless of course you don't mind paying a lot to fix the place back to normal.

Still I would put bass traps and Difussion panels. Tape Op has a great DIY diffuser that you could make for little money.
Old 2 days ago
Really cool looking space. Best of luck with the setup for mixing. If done right you could have one of the best looking and best sounding rooms around.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
There is a issue in your bedroom suite idea - the cranking big 'space heater' right above - and all the water pipes coming down. Now you could always just shut off the heater - but you can't stop people from using the pipes.

Looking at your space I think the best Mix position would be facing the windows in the front room. Which I notices has no Monitor nor a good place to put a Monitor. Guess you are watching on a Laptop?

Anywhoo - are you buying or renting? If Renting nothing can touch the walls (the current tenant didn't put any pictures on the wall) - unless of course you don't mind paying a lot to fix the place back to normal.

Still I would put bass traps and Difussion panels. Tape Op has a great DIY diffuser that you could make for little money.
I would be renting the space. The pics are of a previous tenet. I used to live in the complex about 4 years ago before I took composting and mixing seriously. I’ve moved around a bit since then but really enjoyed this space. The pipes are silent, they’re still wrapped with a insulation. And the hvac isn’t bad, I would turn it off when mixing or tracking live. But for working out ideas for a composition, it wouldn’t be a issue.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Really cool looking space. Best of luck with the setup for mixing. If done right you could have one of the best looking and best sounding rooms around.
Thanks! It would be around this coming fall when I move. I’ll post a update when it’s setup. Would you have any suggestions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search