The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pad transformer in yard. Any problems?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Pad transformer in yard. Any problems?

I am moving and just about to close on a house that has a dedicated 14x17 room for my studio. Everything is good to go however I just noticed there is a pad transformer in the back corner of the yard. The power lines are buried in the neighborhood so the step down transformers are in these about 2ft L x 2ft W x 1.5ft H metal boxes. It is about 40 feet away from the studio room.

Is there any risk of RF or EM interference? (I have a few pieces of tube gear)Again 40 feet away. Its a newer unit and doesn't hum like ones I've seen before.

Kinda unnerving knowing that 10000ish volts are routed to it and then stepped down to feed each house around me. Ive done some research and the information i found was that they are safe, EM "radiation" is discharged to the ground and RF is not an issue. But this could just be conformation bias from people who bought homes with them in their yard

Not sure if anyone here can comment, but I figured I would throw the question out there.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I plan on having a dedicated 30 amp circuit installed in the room with its own isolated grounding rod.

DO NOT use an isolated grounding rod.
this is dangerous, not permitted by rule and won't accomplish anything good.
40 feet is a long distance away.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks. I removed that from my post. I'm no expert on electrical so Im sure i used incorrect terms. No isolated grounding rod. I'll have a electrical contractor do this work to ensure its done correctly and safely.

Anyone else please share your thoughts on the pad transformer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good, leave ground rod concerns to the electrician and the inspector.
it's a century old misunderstanding, that ground rods help AC power line noise situations. They DON'T.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Good, leave ground rod concerns to the electrician and the inspector.
it's a century old misunderstanding, that ground rods help AC power line noise situations. They DON'T.
Any other thought about the pad transformer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search