The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?

Hi, I'm getting confused with all the information I'm reading online about speaker placement. The good news is, I have cool 3D room models attached to this post!

As you can see, I think I'm following all the "rules":
  • Tweeters are the same height as my ear
  • Equilateral triangle spaced equally between my seat and the speakers
  • Distance is a little more than 6 feet
  • Location of my seat position is 38% away from the wall
  • Back wall is more than 10 feet away from seat position

I read somewhere that the speakers should be a little closer together than the distance between your ear and them, but IDK. I also saw somewhere that the speakers should be as close to the wall as possible, and then you adjust the EQ on the back of the speaker to make up for the gain in bass. But that sounds fishy to me.

Any thoughts that come to mind from looking at these pictures would be very greatly appreciated. These models will determine to some extent what I buy and what I consider to be within what is practically possible for planning this room.
Attached Thumbnails
Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?-basement-re-design-1-.jpg   Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?-basement-re-design-2-.jpg   Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?-basement-re-design-3-.jpg   Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?-basement-re-design.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Its often preferred to have the speakers spaced further apart (not closer together) than the distance from your head. If you set up your speakers in an equilateral triangle bases off a point 16" behind the listening position you will achieve this. Or leave them as is and sit a bit closer.

The idea behind this is it widens the stereo image, and keeps the engineer within the sweet spot while he's moving his head around.

Remember these rules are guidelines, and good starting points for speaker and listening position. The ideal placement will take some trial and error, especially in an irregular room.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapes View Post
The good news is, I have cool 3D room models attached to this post!
Your room models are indeed epic.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the speakers should be a little closer together than the distance between your ear and them, but IDK.
It's usually the opposite -- you are a bit in the triangle.

Quote:
I also saw somewhere that the speakers should be as close to the wall as possible, and then you adjust the EQ on the back of the speaker to make up for the gain in bass. But that sounds fishy to me.
That strategy has a number of benefits: If your speakers need to do less in the bass, nonlinear distortion will go down and maximum level up.

Quote:
Any thoughts that come to mind from looking at these pictures would be very greatly appreciated.
How about the top left part of the room, sitting at the top left wall? I'm not sure you can make the asymmetry of the room around you disappear with the design you've provided.
Old 1 week ago
BTW: A quick 'n dirty measurement session where you take one speaker, put it on a stand and measure 10-20 positions within that room will give you a lot of information on what to expect where.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How far are the front baffles of your speakers from the front wall?
How far are the inside baffles of your speakers from the side walls?

By the looks of your 4th picture you are probably experiencing extreme SBIR issues.
I'm not sure if that is a door on the top left of your 3D model, if not I would personally set up facing the short wall there.

38% rule is just a guideline - SBIR should influence your placement before anything else IMO.

The closer you put your speakers to the front wall, the higher the SBIR cancellation frequency becomes, making it easier to treat. The low frequencies will be boosted by being close to the wall however, which is why you want to low shelf the speakers if they have EQ on the back.

Note that you want to avoid similar numbers as much as possible - for instance if your speakers are 1 meter high, you don't want your speakers 1 meter from the side walls or front wall.

You're going to want to run a bunch of tests in various distances close to the front wall and past the 2.2 meter point if you have the room (and depending on the LF cut off point of your speakers)
Attached Thumbnails
Critique/Advise me on my Speaker Placement?-imgext.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search