The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connection of decks and outboard gear
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Connection of decks and outboard gear

I have just finished building my first dedicated home studio but could do with some connections advice.
I have an Apollo twin and HS7 monitors, I have my turntables in the studio but could do with some advice on connecting them to my monitors so I can practice DJ’ing and record samples into my daw for chopping up.
I am thinking of getting an Allen and Heath Zed mixer so I can add my decks and any other outboard gear I may get in future, synths etc. My question is how do I connect the mixer to my Apollo so I can use my decks and other hardware and do my monitors plug into the mixer or the Apollo? Lastly when recording vocals am I better going straight into my Apollo rather than through the mixer first?

Last edited by devvo; 13th February 2020 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Dj mixer main out > apollo twin in> hs7
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks Jason, but what if I want to add hardware synths? Hence the Zed. Will this way allow me to record into my daw whatever is plugged into the mixer?

Mixer out > Apollo in > monitors plugged into Apollo
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devvo View Post
Thanks Jason, but what if I want to add hardware synths? Hence the Zed. Will this way allow me to record into my daw whatever is plugged into the mixer?

Mixer out > Apollo in > monitors plugged into Apollo
You have any free channels on the dj mixer?
Synth>mixer>apollo>hs7

With that setup or with the zed mixer you only have 1 stereo input to your daw.

If you need more inputs than the 2, i would just get an adat interface to use the 8 digital inputs on the apollo. Then you would have the following
Dj>adat>apollo>hs7

Something like this would work
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

get a desk!

could be you'd want to track a scatch/guide vocal or plug in any kinda additional instrument/source...
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

That’s what I’m thinking, if I did get a desk then anything I get further down the road like synths etc can just plug straight into the desk.

So with a desk am I right in saying the desks outputs to the Apollo inputs, and the monitors connected to the Apollo?

This should make it so that anything that’s connected to the desk will be able to record into my daw?
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Jason what do you mean I’d only have one stereo input into my daw with the Zed? Excuse my ignorance.

Does that mean whatever is plugged into the Zed i could only ever record one thing at a time into my daw? Whereas with an adat interface I could record multiple things at once? Have i understood that right?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jason what do you mean I’d only have one stereo input into my daw with the Zed? Excuse my ignorance.

Does that mean whatever is plugged into the Zed i could only ever record one thing at a time into my daw? Whereas with an adat interface I could record multiple things at once? Have i understood that right?
Yes, there are only 2 analog inputs (one stereo pair) on the apollo and the zed doesnt have the 8 channel adat out. You could hook up 4 stereo pairs on the zed and adjust levels, but you could only record all of that to one stereo track at a time.

If you got an adat interface you could record 10 seperate things to 10 tracks simultaneously. (5 stereo pairs or 10 mono). The 8 channels of adat and the two analog ins of the apollo. You could then put a desk in the signal path later if you wanted, and needed, but for dj/producers, its not typically a necessity.

They do make mixing consoles with adat io, but its not going to be the cheapest way to get more io, but theres a million ways to do this.
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for explaining that. Do I need to be able to record more than one thing at once? I’ll never be recoding bands etc I guess a Zed would just provide me with a way of hooking up multiple things at once rather than recording multiple things. That said am I right in saying the Zed has a usb interface?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. Do I need to be able to record more than one thing at once? I’ll never be recoding bands etc I guess a Zed would just provide me with a way of hooking up multiple things at once rather than recording multiple things. That said am I right in saying the Zed has a usb interface?
The advice is not from sales people. I just a goggle and yes the Zed series have USB for 2 track recording. What RIAA preamps are you using?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont know what you need, only you do. Your dj mixer likely has at least 4 stereo inputs, so you have a options there. You just need to fgure out what your needs are.
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Avare.. just the preamps in my Pioneer s9
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Jason, well I certainly won’t be recording bands or drums, I make RnB and Hip Hop predominantly. I guess if I bought the Zed it would be used as more of a patch bay as to be able to have multiple things plugged in at once like my decks, a couple of synths etc
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

If I did record vocals and maybe the odd guitar I would probably unplug the Zed from my Apollo and run the mic/guitar straight into that.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jason, well I certainly won’t be recording bands or drums, I make RnB and Hip Hop predominantly. I guess if I bought the Zed it would be used as more of a patch bay as to be able to have multiple things plugged in at once like my decks, a couple of synths etc
Andre is correct, the zed mixers do seem to all have 2in/2out audio over USB. You could use the zed for all synths/dj gear into the daw and then use the apollo for monitoring and recording vox or whatever. Keep them seperate
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

So 2 in 2 out means it can record 2 mono tracks or one stereo track into my daw?
So if I kept them totally separate with my decks plugged into the Zed does that mean I’d have to have my computer on if I wanted to jump on the decks? And would I still have my monitors plugged into the Apollo? Connected like that Would I still get sound out of my monitors from my decks with the monitors plugged into the Apollo?
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Andre is correct, the zed mixers do seem to all have 2in/2out audio over USB. You could use the zed for all synths/dj gear into the daw and then use the apollo for monitoring and recording vox or whatever. Keep them seperate
Connected like this would I need to have my daw on and open to get sound out if I wanted to just jump on my decks and not record?
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Connected like this would I need to have my daw on and open to get sound out if I wanted to just jump on my decks and not record?
Hmmm..... maybe. You could send the master out of the zed to the apollo then instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search