The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics

I regularly record my band live in our rehearsal space. I have a 16 track digital recording system which I am happy with. Also, I am quite happy with the quality of the recordings, which are good enough for us to have professionally mastered and then release digitally, but also on vinyl.

The room is quite large, see the attached drawing, ca 32 sqm (as is clear from the drawing, it is sort of a double room). The ceiling height is at least 3 m (10 ft). The building is almost 170 years old, so no concrete in the walls or ceiling.

As I felt that the acoustics were OK I left the room untreated when we moved in two years ago. I now think the time has come to try to improve my recordings further, so perhaps some treatment would be good.

I have also been contemplating another pair of mics for drum OH. Today, I use a pair of RM BIV 1s, a Royer-like ribbon mic, in Recorderman setup. I record everything live in the room: drums, bass, electric guitar, electric viola, and sax processed with lots of fx boxes, miced through the PA. I take line-ins from everything except the drums (obviously!) and the sax, which uses two mics.

My primary reason for either treatment or change of OH mics is to get less spill from the other instruments. Also, I recently recorded some acoustic jazz in the room, and I noticed that there were quite a lot of cymbal reflections from the nearby wall (I guess) and perhaps also ceiling, which kind of smeared the stereo imaging, or at least made the cymbal sound less distinct. This is not obvious in my recordings with the electric band.

Mic-wise I have been thinking a pair of Beyer M160s, which are very directional.

But returning to room treatment now. What would be the most urgent, least intrusive, most meaningful way of treating the room to achieve my objectives? I would prefer to do as little as possible. My immediate thought is a panel or two floating above my drum kit, and panels on the opposing walls on each side of the kit and the wall behind it. Would this be enough? Would it be too much?

We share the room with three other bands, so my kit is in a corner, which I know is not optimal. But let's accept that for now. My kit is the oak kit to the right in the picture, surrounded by the mic stands (indicated by a rickety X in the drawing).

I also attach a picture taken from just in front of my kit facing the other end of the (double) room, to give a sense of its size and irregular layout.

So. what would be the minimum meaningful treatment, if any?

Would I be better off with the Beyer OHs, leaving the room untreated?

Please let your wisdom flow!

/Magnus
Attached Thumbnails
Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics-room.jpg   Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics-my-oak-kit-corner.jpg   Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics-other-end-room.jpg   Basic room treatment for drums or more directional mics-closer-look-kit-corner.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Noone?

/Magnus
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The m160 will give minimal improvement

Assuming up to a $1500 budget, 2 pairs of GIK polyfusors ($540) and 4 absorbers at lesst 4" thick (2-800 DIY). Play with location. Up to $750 saved.

Enjoy!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The m160 will give minimal improvement

Assuming up to a $1500 budget, 2 pairs of GIK polyfusors ($540) and 4 absorbers at lesst 4" thick (2-800 DIY). Play with location. Up to $750 saved.

Enjoy!
Thank you, Avare! Much appreciated!

All the best,

Magnus
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

If you could get the drummers using the same kit (or at least part of it), you could find the best spot in the room to place the drums, put them there, and have way more space in the process.

In my one-room studio, 20'x25', I walked around with the floor tom and snare and found the best spot that was also the most practical. Hint: it wasn't a corner.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
If you could get the drummers using the same kit (or at least part of it), you could find the best spot in the room to place the drums, put them there, and have way more space in the process.

In my one-room studio, 20'x25', I walked around with the floor tom and snare and found the best spot that was also the most practical. Hint: it wasn't a corner.
I am well aware that the corner is far from optimal, I will see if I can do anything about it. Sharing kits is not an option, though.

/Magnus
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

If you must share, I'd get some office dividers and put those up: one across the back (to square off that corner and bring the drums out further into the room) and flank the drums on either side. That'll clean up the cymbal reflections and they're cheap-to-free used.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you must share, I'd get some office dividers and put those up: one across the back (to square off that corner and bring the drums out further into the room) and flank the drums on either side. That'll clean up the cymbal reflections and they're cheap-to-free used.
Thank you so much, that is an excellent idea!

Best,

Magnus
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Also, try Recorderman if you want less room, 46” equidistant from the snare.

M160s pointing straight down in an AB pair over floor Tom and hat/snare can cut down on bleed too.

I high pass my overheads right to the point where the snare loses too much body to cut down on boomy bleed.

Also also, get Moses Schneider’s ebook; he tracks a lot of bands live off the floor and his stuff sounds really cool.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Also, try Recorderman if you want less room, 46” equidistant from the snare.

M160s pointing straight down in an AB pair over floor Tom and hat/snare can cut down on bleed too.

I high pass my overheads right to the point where the snare loses too much body to cut down on boomy bleed.

Also also, get Moses Schneider’s ebook; he tracks a lot of bands live off the floor and his stuff sounds really cool.
Hi again,

As I wrote in my original post, I use Recorderman. M160s was my thought too.

Like you, I hipass the OHs but no more than up to ca 100 Hz.

/Best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search